Logo

21758880 1972 ted willaims 75 outboard

rich1260

"Thank you wayne and rob for h

"Thank you wayne and rob for helping me before rebuilt the carb and my little motor was running realy great ran for 35 to 45 minutes in gear and out the impeller is working great went to the lake togive it a go ran it for 15 to 20 minutes started fishing went to start it back and nothing got home and i have no spark used 3 new plugs and no spark what could be worng or should i put it to rest
251203.jpg
"

"Wow, I'm sorry to hear th

"Wow, I'm sorry to hear that.
Make sure you ground the plug properly when testing as not having a ground could hurt the ignition. I use a piece of steel trolling line as a backup ground, just to make sure. Also make sure you have the throttle well past stop when checking as there is likely a ground to kill the motor when you set throttle to stop position.
Also, test in a dark place, and maybe cheat and narrow the plug gap. The reason I say this is that the electronic ignitions in these motors have been known to fail, and I'm hoping if you have any spark at all, the magneto is working. The problem is that Tecumseh no longer manufactures the replacement parts.
I don't want to jump to conclusions as it could be as simple as a bad connection somewhere, but since that motor has a solid state magneto, there isn't much adjustment to anything.
Check any wires you can to make sure they aren't frayed and grounding out on anything.
The service manual states you need a special tool to remove the flywheel on that motor. If you don't have a bad connection or wire, I would suggest looking at the magnets on the flywheel and magneto for issues.
I, fortunately for me, have not had ignition problems on my 7.5's, just my 9.9's.

Worst case scenario is you might be in need of a donor motor. I've had a few of these over the years, and even gave a good running 1975 away last year (to a friend). I have a 9.9 Eska that has gone through through ignitions over the years, and have been fortunate enough to find donor motors. I'm now at 20 years or so on the last ignition, so hopefully have a solid motor. If it dies again, I'll put the motor in the back of the shed and look for another donor motor.
I hope you find something obvious, but this may give you a good idea where to look."

"Thank you wayne I found the p

"Thank you wayne I found the proublem it was the spark wire it is dry rotted i wraped it in electrcal tape and replaced the prymary wire and then saw spark coming from the plug put every thing back together and shes running great thank you so much for your help
251268.jpg
"

i have a 1974 where is a good

i have a 1974 where is a good place to order some parts. it runs good but i need a water pump and the housing for it

Hello Joe I just rebuilt my ca

Hello Joe I just rebuilt my carb and Waynewas agreat help to me Thank again Discount-Marine.com might have the parts for you and sears you need to get the modle numberon the motor my motor number is 217-58880its important you have this when getting the parts you need

water pump is at www3.sears.co

water pump is at www3.sears.com I'm not sure about the housing. You can type in your model number and look through the parts list.

thanks for the help i am going

thanks for the help i am going to check that out.can i ask a dumb question it says air cooled on it why does it have to have a water pump

"That's not a dumb questio

"That's not a dumb question. It does seem kind of odd. The motor itself is air cooled, but the exhaust, therefore exhaust port is water cooled. It was a cheaper setup than having a fully liquid cooled engine, but then again, the motors were significantly cheaper than their OMC/Mercury etc. rivals."

thanks wayne will eska and gam

thanks wayne will eska and game fisher parts fit it? when i got the motor it was missing the lower unit i found one off an old eska it fits but it was missing the parts i am looking for i was told that eska and game fisher would work do you know for sure it might make my search easier

Back