Logo

Tohatsu 35B Gear shift

oceanis

"The N/F gear controller on my

"The N/F gear controller on my Tohatsu 3.5 is very stiff to operate - a 2 handed job really. I've tried squirting penetrating oil around the control lever pivot, and have removed the small metal plate on the front of the engine to expose the actuating cam on the square shaft. I've squirted lube from that side too but to no avail. My next thought was to remove the control lever to attempt to lubricate the lever properly (I'm sure that is where the friction is as the lever is very stiff to take up the small amount of 'slack' in the shift mechanism). How do I get the control lever off? It looks like it should just slide out once the cam lock screw is removed...

Cheers, Mark"

"Well, fixed my own problem. T

"Well, fixed my own problem. The gear shift was difficult to remove - requiring a wedge to be driven between the end of the shaft and the case. Once I'd got it out I removed the grit/sand that was providing the friction. A good dollop of waterproof grease and re-assemble, and it's now dead easy/smooth to switch gears..."

You need to change out the two

You need to change out the two o-rings on the handle as that is where the salt penetrated through.

Back