Logo

What could it be now

donmega

"so my pre alpha, mid 1970&#39

"so my pre alpha, mid 1970's 3.0 lost alot of acceleration power 2 weeks ago. I have changed the spark plugs , rotor, point and condenser, changed the fuel filter and put a new water/fuel separator system in, adjusted timing up and down and none of these even helped my problem a little bit. I didn't replace the cap or plug wires. the problem is...when I increase throttle, fast or slow, there is a popping sound that sounds like its coming from the carb, but it only happens when I'm applying throttle. It sounds like a frickin lawnmower. when I keep the rpm's up, it runs great, then when I back it off to idle, it's a little rough but not too bad... idles comfortably around 900-1000 rpm, anything lower stalls out. I also have hard starting problems, even when the engine is warm. Could water in my fuel cause all this? could I have to get the card rebuilt? its a rochester 2bbl. All suggestions welcome!! Thanks guys"

"Well, I'm not sure how mu

"Well, I'm not sure how much help this will be but, I have an inboard V-8 which was suffering from the same symtoms. I tried everything until I nearly gave up, come to find out it was in fact water mixing with the fuel, just not the way I thought. I had a leak in my water cooled exhast assy, hard to find because there was little rust but the water was somehow getting back through the cross overs into the intake and down actually into the cylinders themselfs."

"Matt, My initial thought is

"Matt, My initial thought is carb., but before you pay someone to rebuild it, there are a few things you should check first.

Check the spark to be sure you don't have intermittant fire, also check the compression, make sure all cylinders are up to par and close to the same reading. Also give it a good eyeball. Make sure the carb is tight and there are no vacuum leaks anywhere. If these things all look good I would suspect a sticking float.

Good luck
Rick"

"My guess is bad cam lobe(

"My guess is bad cam lobe(s), bent push rod (if its clicking and clacking), broken valve spring, or a stuck valve. You cna eliminate all of hte above by removing the valve cover and wheel her over with the plugs out. Make sure all of the valves are opening the same amount. If even one is not, the cam lobe is worn.
If they all open the same, look for a broken valve spring.

Jeff"

Back