Logo

Alpha One Question

stewsbs

Contributing Member
I have an Alpha One outdrive o

I have an Alpha One outdrive on a Mercruiser 233hp when I shift into foward or reverse it I must move the throttle lever about a 1/3 of the way in either direction before it engages into gear there is also alot of chater when it first goes into gear this is in foward or reverse the cables look like they are both moving as soon as I push down or up on throttle lever that is the shifter cable from lever and the cable that runs to the outdrive is there any way to take up the slack in getting it into gear and what could the noise be boat ran great last year in water did have the shifting problem but it did not seem to affect performance any help would be greatly appreciated

"You can adjust the amount of

"You can adjust the amount of travel for the lower shift cable but if it's strectched it will need to be replaced which requires removing the outdrive. a quick search on google or this forum will reveal how to properly adjust the shift cable and replace it. ( also a good time to check bellows, u-joints and coupler. Easy to do if your a bit of a mechanic but the cable will go ALOT easier with friend."

Are there any adjustments in t

Are there any adjustments in the upper gear case of the drive?Ever since I own the boat it has had this problem.

"not for shifting, only gear m

"not for shifting, only gear mesh and bearing pre-load, the lower part of the outdrive is where shiftint occures

the problem you describe is as bondo said the lower shift cable needs replacing."

The lower shift cable should n

The lower shift cable should not need adjusting...i would select fwd gear and measure the distance from the center of the trunnion and the eye at the end it should be 6 inches...what control box do you have as the cams could be worn

Back