Logo

350 MPI

billy_j

"I have a 2007 350 MAG MPI tha

"I have a 2007 350 MAG MPI that I bought new last fall. After putting 20 hrs on it, it was time to drain the system for winter storage. I store it in my garage for the winter. It has a three point drain system, with a vent at the thermastat. I drained it like my owners manual said. This spring I took it out to run it after installing Captains Call exhaust on it. I hooked the ears on the drive water pickup and turned the water on and started the motor. I had the engine cover closed at first few minutes, but opened it to check for any exhaust leaks and noticed that the plastic fittings that go into the cool fuel unit were leaking water. The bottom one has a crack in the bottom, and the top one is leaking around the oring a little. I shut the motor down and took the fittings out to inspect them, and noticed the bottom one was cracked along the bottom, like it had a freeze crack. The top one is not cracked but is leaking out around the oring.
I was wondering if anyone could explain where the water to the cool fuel unit comes from. I can't see if comes straight from the drive impeller first, or comes from the engine after running through the waterpump. I tried tracking the lines down to the source lines but cannot see them from being under the boat. From feeling the lines back, they both seem to hook to the same line. But that doesn't make much sense if you was trying to circulate water. Like I said, I cannot see well enough to tell. I did not notice anything else leaking under the engine compartment. I was also wondering if there is any valves to the incoming water lines that could have froze along with these fittings, or if there is anything else I would need to check in the cool fuel unit, or anywhere else. I did run the engine long enough to get it up to temperature, and the thermastat seemed to be working ok, and was getting water back out to the exhaust. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks, Billy"

"Billy:

I'm not familia

"Billy:

I'm not familiar w/the system that you have. But, if you followed the owner's manual and performed the winter service exactly as it stated, then take it back to the dealer and explain what you did and what has happened.

One comment that has come up in this board is that the Owner's Manuals are not up-to-date w/current engine maintenance procedures. Maybe Merc. bought a gazillion of them for $.01 each. For some reason the service changes are not getting put into the Owner's Manuals."

Back