Logo

What make is my b50 Electric SSb motor

lionstones

"I have an outboard of unknown

"I have an outboard of unknown manufacture. I has a metal decal on the front saying 'Electric' and '50', also it has an 'SS' logo on the sides, but the brand names are missing.

I'm totally new to outboards....

I would very much appreciate some help ^_^

Hank."

"Okay, had another look, found

"Okay, had another look, found three numbers:

213150 on the bottom of the crankcase

268010 on the side of the crankcase, around a small screw just above the 'neutral position' switch for the starting circuit

BZ3793 on the flywheel

Here's a pic of the side of the motor.

251055.jpg
Side of motor"">

Hope all this helps.

Hank"

"Okay---I'm an idiot... Fo

"Okay---I'm an idiot... Found the type and serial number, it's a Simpson-Sears C571, 50 horse at 4750 rpm.

Hank."

"Forgot to say: she's been

"Forgot to say: she's been stored outside for years, still had some fuel in the tank (stale as a skunk), just for the hell of it I tried and: started on the button - first attempt! I'm a happy boy.

Now I'm looking for some bits and pieces to 'tart her up' and then it's off to the lake... when it thaws out...

Hank."

"Hi Graham, just saw your post

"Hi Graham, just saw your post, thanks for your help, as you can see by my previous posts, I finally found her out!

Thanks anyway!

Hank."

"Yes, and I just did a little

"Yes, and I just did a little diggin'

The "electric" model Elgin was a 35 horse twin cylinder built by West Bend in Barrie, Ontario, Canada, in 1965 and sold at Simpson Sears (which later became Sears Canada).

The entire model number of your motor would be 571.59414 or 571.59415 (with the C in front indicating that it was built at West Bends Canadian plant).

Surprisingly, just about every part you would need to maintain that motor is still available through www.laingsoutboards.com should the need arise..."

"Thanks again Graham, it all s

"Thanks again Graham, it all snowballs from here, I also did some more digging, The full type is C571 593651

It's a 50 horse, built in '65 by West Bend Mod for Elgin, sold by Sears...

http://www.discount-marine-parts.com/ob_elgin_5.html

Funny thing is: I was 'built' in '65 too! Imagine that, my first outboard is the same age as me!

Now for some lower unit parts... i'm checking that site out!

Thanks again,

Hank."

Back