Logo

Lower unit not pumping water up to thermostat housing

alleykat

"I just bought a 21' bayli

"I just bought a 21' bayliner with a 130 hp mercruiser engine. I was on the boat with him in august of last year and I also helped him winterize the vessel in november. Both times the motor opperated at 150 degrees and had no cooling issues what so ever. As soon as I signed the title I put the muffs on and fired it up and automatically noticed that the lower unit wasnt "pissing" any water. I figured maybe the thermostat wasnt open and allowed it to run up to about 200 before it started smoking and I shut it down. I let it cool for about 45 minutes and then pulled the hose that runs up from the lower unit to the T-stat housing and fired it up again and there was absolutely no water being pushed up the hose from the impeller housing.

My question is if the impeller is the issue or if I may have a larger scale problem? With the lower unit pissing well during the last run and the winterising, is it possible that the impeller could foul when not in use? Or do I have a larger problem like the impeller housing pump etc? I also have an electrical short somewhere but thats easy enough to fix with a voltage meter and a six pack. If it is just the impeller I'll be needing some detailed instructions on how to replace it. (are the sierra impellers any good?) I forgot to mention that it's a gen I outdrive.

Thanks very much in advance guy's. I learned with my last marine aquisition that you guy's knowledge is key in scenarios like this one."

A few seconds w/the engine run

A few seconds w/the engine running w/o water to the OD will fry the impeller. Get a manual to follow during removal of the lower unit. Shifter MUST be in forward gear for removal and installation. You may need upper and lower impeller hsgs. since it got hot. You'll know once it's removed. Sierra will work.

"outdrives don`t "piss wat

"outdrives don`t "piss water" like a outboard.
If it ran correctly when it was winterized then the muffs were not correctly applied and the impeller got toasted or someone ran the motor without water being supplied, 30 seconds or less without water and the impeller is done."

Back