Logo

Merc 57 dieseling

mercruier

"I have a couple of mercruiser

"I have a couple of mercruiser 5.7's (weber carburetors), and one of them occasionally diesels when I turn of the ignition. The technical manual troubleshooting section states that this dieseling can introduce water into the cylinders. How does dieseling introduce water, unless the engine diesels backwards?
This engine was recently hydro-locked, due to a warped stainless steel riser. Now repaired and running well.
thanks,
Roger"

How does dieseling introduce w

How does dieseling introduce water? The engine diesels backwards?

Read Barry's reference articles. Mercruiser makes a carbon remover for its engines. Chevron's "Techron" fuel additive comes in their fuel or can be purchased separately and added to your fuel tank. Run a few bottles based on the fuel/Techron ratio and it should clean out any carbon build up in the engine. If it doesn't then you have a carb problem.

"[b]"But how does dieselin

""But how does dieseling lead to water in the cylinders?"

Ayuh,... The motor spins Backwards...

For Decarbonizing,...
Run the motor til warm,...
Bump the idle to 1500/ 1800rpms,+ pour a soda pop bottle full of Water down the throat of the carb...
Pour it fast enough to labor the motor, but not Stall it...
It'll be as clean as Brand New inside..."

"Boys:

I was afraid to tell

"Boys:

I was afraid to tell him to do that because if it is done wrong it could be a disaster. I use very hot water so it will vaporize inside the intake manifold. Now Bondo is the one to blame if it screws up his engine.
uhoh.gif
"

"Ayuh,...

I'll defer

"Ayuh,...

I'll defer Blame to Britsh Leyland,...

I read it YEARS ago in my Land Rover manual,.. circa the 1960s..."

Back