Logo

Alpha outdrives wont come off

kford01

I have 1982 mercruiser 470&#39

I have 1982 mercruiser 470's with alpha 1 gen1 and a gen2. I was told they were off the boat unit last year (the boat sat for 10 years before)I can't get the outdrives off they have moved a little more than an 1/8th of a inch. I have been lubing them and bouncing them (I don't like doing it but theres not much more I can do)
any ideas to get them off. Im schedualed to be in the water April 15th.
any help would be great thanks

"Ayuh,...

If you've fol

"Ayuh,...

If you've followed the proper procedure,+ they're Still Stuck,...
I'd guess that the shafts are rusted/ siezed in the gimbel bearings....
You might have to pull the motors,+ Beat them out with a BFHammer....
Did you try putting a piece of 2x4 under it,+ Slamming it down,..??"

"I use a 2x4 but put at the to

"I use a 2x4 but put at the top beteew tne bearing cover and the gimbel housing and tip the drive up by hand, if need put trim back on, trim it up and stand back"

"Hi, I have a similar problem,

"Hi, I have a similar problem, my boat is a 1993 searay Br160 with a 3 ltr lx Mercruiser, and alpha leg.
I have followed the manual, but the drive refuses to part from the Gimbal.... it has moved perhaps 12mm but despite some quite gentle persuasion will not come out any more.
henry s... you mentioned it should be in forward gear to remove drive, yet the manual states place boat in neutral, how sure are you? the drive doesn't feel..solid..but still connected to something, if that helps any."

"Marcruisers must be in FWD to

"Marcruisers must be in FWD to remove the outdrive.
It is possable to use wood wedges but another way is the shim stock between the upper cap and transom assembly and raising the drive, adding more shim, raising the drive untill it comes off. Dont be surprised to remove the gimbal bearing at the same time if it rusted to the shaft."

"it must be in FWD, promise, t

"it must be in FWD, promise, that's why it wont go any further, push it back on the rest or use the nuts and tighten it back if needed. then put in forward then it should slide off.

BT Doctor and Bondo know their stuff..

What manual are you using ?
Are you looking at instructions for a Bravo Drive maybe ?"

Sometimes if their stuck I use

Sometimes if their stuck I use a 4x4 or 2x4 parallel with the boat then with the trim arms detached let the drive drop but this can cause damage to the skeg. Big screw drivers or flat bars in between can also help but you will damage the metal.

"Hi Brian,
Thankyou

"Hi Brian,
Thankyou very much for the replies, i have just checked my manual and yes it is for the Bravo drive.....
I will crack on tomorrow and let you know, thankyou once again.

Best Regards"

"Hi all, it finally came off w

"Hi all, it finally came off with lots of persuasion, many thanks for the help

ps....does anyone have an alignment tool to hire for the merc 3 ltr with alpha 1 outdrive?"

"I'm not 100% sure, buit i

"I'm not 100% sure, buit if you haven't moved the engine or bell housing, I don't believe that you'll need an alignment tool to reinstall, unless you want to check the original alignment."

You would never know if the en

You would never know if the engine moved when removing the drive and should always be checked before reinstalling the drive.

Ask BT Doctor or Bondo here on the post.

"Hi, thankyou for the replies,

"Hi, thankyou for the replies, i am rebuilding the entire engine, so it is all coming out, it's not that i am tight but the £75 for the tool seems excessive for one use, i suppose i could buy it then resell it when engine is back in and sorted..seems the sensible way if no one on here has one to hire.... we should have a pool one ;)"

Simon
They can usually be fou

Simon
They can usually be found on eBay for 30-40 dollars US. Don't know about shipping though to GB

Bert

Back