Logo

Where does the theromstat go

ged

Contributing Member
"Hi all. mercruiser 502 1991.

"Hi all. mercruiser 502 1991. am fitting a glm therm housing.but not sure if the thermostat goes between the inlet manifold and the therm housing or between the therm housing and the top cover plate, there is a recess in both places. can anyone advise. ged"

hi Bondo. thats where i would

hi Bondo. thats where i would say it goes. but the GLM replacement therm housing is totally different to the original which i was told is no longer available. but if i put it in the manifold how does the water get to the risers before the stat opens.

If you don't have a set of

If you don't have a set of ball check valves on the hsg. tree then you may have the wrong hsg. There needs to be a water outlet to the exhaust manifolds. If there is only one outlet per side then it goes to the lower part of the manifold. Plug the upper hose connection and change the riser/manifold gasket to allow full flow of water.

"hi Guy. i,ve got two out lets

"hi Guy. i,ve got two out lets with the ball check valves to the exhaust manifolds. two out lets to the risers, so which gaskets do i need between the manifold and the risers. the ones with four slotted holes or the ones with two slotted holes and two round holes. thanks Ged"

GED:

You don't need t

GED:

You don't need to change riser/mans. gaskets if the t'stat hsg. has four small water outlets. The ball check valves are attached to the upper part of the exhaust above the manifolds while the lower outlets on the hsg. connect to the bottom of the exhaust manifolds.

"the ones with two slotted holes and two round holes." are used w/RWC exhaust.

Back