Logo

Hard Time with Hot Start

bunbun

"I have a 1996 mercruiser, 3.0

"I have a 1996 mercruiser, 3.0 135hp. I starts just fine when taken off the trailer. After running around for hour or so, I stop for lunch. It will not start again after lunch. I can spray starter fluid into the carb and it will start. This problem just started. Have had it happen 2 out of the 3 times I have last gone out. I used the boat once a week for the last 3 months."

What temp. does the engine run

What temp. does the engine run when you shut it off for lunch? It sounds like a fuel vapor lock problem. Have you tried to start the engine after lunch using more throttle or a few pumps on the throttle?

"I am not sure exactly, but I

"I am not sure exactly, but I think it runs about 120 degrees temp. I usually always start with alittle throttle. Boat idles a little rough, but idles good when hot."

Change spark plugs. PN:33-8163

Change spark plugs. PN:33-816336Q or NGK BPR6EFS

Verify the choke is opening all the way; adjust if needed.

Replace the thermostat; temp gauge should read more than 120 deg.

THERMOSTAT PN: 807252T2 160°F (if FWC or Fresh Water Cooled)

I am going to try to change th

I am going to try to change the plugs this weekend. How hot should my boat run? Thanks for the advice

160 deg. F. if your boat is FW

160 deg. F. if your boat is FWC (antifreeze in the block) and 143 deg. F. if it is RWC (lake water in the block).

"I changed the plugs this week

"I changed the plugs this weekend. It seemed to be doing better. I never really shut the boat off until I went to get the trailer. I wasn't out too long. But, so far so good. The temp seemed to be about 130."

Back