Logo

Noisy 30l 135hp

jray05

"i brought a new searay 175 wi

"i brought a new searay 175 with a 135 hp, i find this motor so noisy i can not hear anything once i finish takeing it for a run up the river. is there anyway i can do to quiten this thing down ?
any help much appreciated"

i forgot to add my brother rep

i forgot to add my brother repowerd his boat with a 115 mariner and it is super super quite when you compare the engines

I've seen some new boats w

I've seen some new boats w/foam eggcrate attached to the inside of the engine compartment. Go look at some new boats of different brands.

"Boat test magazines usually r

"Boat test magazines usually report the decibels at the helm. You can compare your boat to specs. If it's new, and it doesn't meet advertised levels, the dealer should fix it.
I bought a digital db meter at WalMart last year for $20"

I think he's talking 135HP

I think he's talking 135HP Mercury outboard. Mariner does't make an I/O.

james you might try the mercury outboard forum. this one is mercruiser stern drive.

"then newer Mercruiser 3.0L&#3

"then newer Mercruiser 3.0L's are rated at 135hp

I've used this on a few engine covers

http://www.soundprooffoam.com/ultra-barrier-plus.html

QUIET BARRIER® Specialty Composite is an engineered acoustical composite of 1/4 in. decoupling foam / 1/8 in. high mass sound blocking barrier / 1 in. noise absorbing foam & 3 mil reinforced aluminized facing designed to provide significant air and structure borne noise reduction in a low-profile configuration."

"oops I didn't see the 3.0

"oops I didn't see the 3.0L in the heading. I know this boat does come with a 135hp Merc outboard as well. My cousin had one.

What kind of noise is james talking about? Valve noise, exhaust noise? Does it have a through transom exhaust? Hard to believe a newer 3.0L would be noisey at all."

"Its just loud in engine in ge

"Its just loud in engine in genral exhaust etc, its like compareing a new v8 engine to and old v8 made 30 years ago"

"The exhaust exits under the w

"The exhaust exits under the water behind the boat by design. So if you can hear the exhaust at the helm, at great volumes, then you may have a leak that can be deadly if boating with a canvas roof enclosure. Even a half roof, not fully enclosed.
It should be checked out.

There are no generalities. It's either too loud, or it isn't and only a db meter can quantify sound levels. Anything else is just opinion and no wrench can repair an opinion."

Back