Logo

Md 7a freeze plug

italiansailor

i need to move the fuel inject

i need to move the fuel injection unit to access the freeze plug on starboard side. seems it wont slide out of the back of water pump. can anyone help? thanks

"Remove water pump and mountin

"Remove water pump and mounting plate. There is a gear with a long nut. Loosen nut, loosen nuts holding pump on. Tap end of nut to pop injection pump shaft out of gear. Pump will then come out. Pump will have to be retimed when reinstalled. Get manual if possible."

"thanks much richard, but also

"thanks much richard, but also wondering can i not take injection pump off maybe and just romove water pump, allowing both units to drop out of way, which can allow access to block and elimnate having to retime? thanks"

"Sorry, does not work that way

"Sorry, does not work that way. Only part of pump going thru housing to gear and water pump is injection pump shaft. Water pump and gear would come out aft, while injection pump comes off forward."

Richard if your out there stil

Richard if your out there still...well took that nut off threaded rod...started tapping on rod but doesnt budge...pump still wont come off. i see the gear the rod goes thru. just looking at it u would think the rod is to be unscrewed not tapped. anyway if there is something im missing hee be appreciative to know whats up. thanks

The nut holds the tapered shaf

The nut holds the tapered shaft into gear. Taper is just like prop shaft so gear needs to be released from shaft. Put the long nut back on pump shaft so you do not crush threads. I use a brass drift and hammer to punch shaft and pump which are together out of case. Nuts holding injection pump on need to be loosened to allow shaft and pump to move away from gear and case. Then nuts holding pump on can be removed all the way and pump will come out of case.

richard if your out there may

richard if your out there may i ask one more quetiion ive tapped on that shaft tons and nothing seems to budge...there is a bold head on end of injector pump could that have anything to do with it? could that be one long bolt that may need to just be unscrewed rather than tapped on other side. i see the threaded bolt going thru a grear on end but as i say tapping on that no movement?

Have you removed nuts and wash

Have you removed nuts and washers holding pump to case? With those off and nut that drives water pump loose on shaft. Only thing holding pump into case is gear on pump shaft. Hold pump away from case and try again. Do not pound on shaft. Will cause damage. Have done this many times and not had a problem. We might be missing something here.

"Hi Richard, i have remomved n

"Hi Richard, i have remomved nuts holding pump taken off nut that drives water pump thats on shaft. is the gear whats holding me up? is there a special way to take gear out maybe? thanks"

Its the gear. Do not think you

Its the gear. Do not think you can get puller on it. Could be careful and heat gear up to try and remove from shaft of pump.

so it is that gear that is han

so it is that gear that is hanging me up? does the gear just come out over that threaded rod? suppose to slide out? if thats the case must be a pully device i can get and maybe there is a pin or something holding in place? thanks

"Thanks again Richard got that

"Thanks again Richard got that gear out..(just hope its in all the way now seems the empeller sticking out some, adjusted pump so it fit obetter oh well) now engine wont start but think need to bleed deisel..is that something I do with the hand pump and opening few vales allowing fuel to escape? thanks"

You really should get manual o

You really should get manual on setting timing of pump. Bleeding system is with hand pump. Then cranking to bleed injector lines.

"Again thanks for all your hel

"Again thanks for all your help Richard, have one more quetion, by the way I do have the manual, now the prob is i line the fly wheel up center, have the gear in water pump lined up with the 1's on mark and put the fuel pump thru back side in gear...how the heck do u aline all 3 units at same time? is there a trick? cant see how the fuel pump can be timed with it can only go in gear one way because of the slot on with pin on rod to gear? im stumped. any ideas? thanks"

The key on pump shaft is close

The key on pump shaft is close but not right on because of cam lift in pump. Get everything set up and slowly rotate engine against rotation until gear key slot slips into pump shaft. Install nut and rotate back to set marks and then rotate pump to set mark in pump. That should do it. Pump is going to want to rotate back because of cam lift so snug it down just enough to rotate.

thanks again richard for the h

thanks again richard for the help have one more quetion...i have it all put together everything lined up now wont start...ive been pumping the fuel line to release air as the manuel states. and by pumping it automatically primes inj pump. not sure if there is something else im missing here or need to keep pumping for air in system. thanks.

"Loosen the nuts at the inject

"Loosen the nuts at the injectors, crank the engine until fuel squirts. Keep on cranking while tightening the nuts!!!"

What a saga.
I have an 11c an

What a saga.
I have an 11c and there are 2 bleed screws on or near the secondary fuel filter housing. If I don't bleed there before I do the injectors it won't atart. Is it different on a 7a?

Back