Logo

5 hp Chrysler

"I was wanting to know, on a m

"I was wanting to know, on a model 54HB engine, where does the water exit the engine when its running? Does it come out of the small 6 holes with the exhaust or some where else? I got it running but I realized I didnt see any water coming out of it anywhere. Any help would be great before I buy a water pump kit. I think it is a 1976."

"Allen, most of it comes out j

"Allen, most of it comes out just above the prop (thru the exhaust).

Those small relief holes will kinda dribble, spit or sweat water.

After the water cools the powerhead and flows down the exhaust (to cool the exhaust gas and act as a muffler), the exhaust pressure will force some of the water out those little holes - but mostly it will just exit at the bottom..."

So how do I check to see if th

So how do I check to see if the water pump is working properly. When I ran it last the engine seemed pretty hot to me and when I shut it off steem came out of those small ports. Just dont want to destroy a good running motor

"Steam is a sure sign that it

"Steam is a sure sign that it is NOT functioning properly - time for at minimum, a new impeller and a water pump kit if available.

The impeller should be changed every 2 years..."

I have a chance of buy this sa

I have a chance of buy this same style motor for $50. I have a 3hp gamefisher and 7hp eska. Both are running but not very dependable. Is this motor decent once running? It hasn't been run for awhile but has spark and turns over.

"Chrysler has been out of busi

"Chrysler has been out of business since the early 1980's, so parts supplies are getting really scarce for some models.

On the other hand, if it's running, 50 bucks is a fair price.

If you are looking for something dependable, that you can still get parts for etc you probably have to look to (at least) a mid-80's portable from either Merc or OMC - but you won't get one for 50 bucks..."

Back