Logo

Looking for Answers

carlnap

Contributing Member
"Hey guys!! Two days ago i sim

"Hey guys!! Two days ago i simple drove the boat to the gas dock filled up 30 gallons and drove back, maybe i drove a mile. Last night i went out fishing noticed she didn't turn right over. I turn the key and hear the engine turning but somthing click the starter off so i tried two more times and she started idle fine. then when i went to take off i felt loss of power then she planed off.Then after driving for 30 min. i stopped try to plane off again and heard pop pop. so i decided to end my fishing trip and get towed in....total sucked. I also feel a little vibration in the stern that is making the boat have a rough ride at 5mph.I have a 2003 5.0 mercruiser EFI bravo 3.Anybody have any answers for me???"

Replace your fuel strainer fir

Replace your fuel strainer first. Looks like an oil filter. Take the fuel in the old strainer and pour it into a glass jar. Allow it to settle and look for water. Fuel will float on water. Sounds like a bad batch of fuel.

Will bad gas cause that poppin

Will bad gas cause that popping sound and the uneven propulsions in the prop??

Well after pulling off the ful

Well after pulling off the fule filter from the tank i poured out 3/4 water and a quarter fuel. I feel i definitly got bad fuel from a local gas station on the water. i put in some fuel enzyme which allows u to burn off the water with the fuel?? Is this possible or do i have to pump out all the fuel in order to avoid this problem again???I also replaced the fuel filter and water seporator.

Just keep replacing the fuel f

Just keep replacing the fuel filter and water seporator and you'll eventually be okay.

Jeff.

Should I continue running the

Should I continue running the fuel down to the bottom of the tank on this fuel filter then replace it or just replace it when i start to feel loss of power.It also sounds like i have a dead spot in the starter when she cranks cause i'll be cranking it an then i'll her a bang and the starter will reset itself. My friend said it all has to do with water that is in the cylinders which won't allow for a full combustion??? Thanks for being so helpful guys!!

"I have a 5.7L 2bbl with a Bra

"I have a 5.7L 2bbl with a Bravo II.
I can't achieve WOT. I get to about 3600 rpm and the
engine begins to cut in and out. The motor is a 1997 and has 263 hours on it. I just bought it and replaced the exhaust manifolds and risers. Also changed spark plugs, cap and rotor . Not the ignition wires.
Any Ideas would be very helpful.

George"

"George, Any number of things

"George, Any number of things can cause the symptoms you are experiencing. The most probable and easiest to check is fuel flow. I would check or replace the fuel filters, inspect all fuel lines, including vents and disasemble and inspect the anti-siphon valve. Once any problems are identified and corrected, run the boat. If the problem persists, move on to the more complex systems. I wouldn't go too far before checking the compression. I would also invest in a service manual to learn more about testing the ignition system.

Good luck
Rick"

"Rick, Thankyou for responding

"Rick, Thankyou for responding to my post.I will check those things first.I did do a compression check and the readings were fine.I just have one more question,what/where is the anti-siphon valve?

thanks,
George"

George i had similiar problems

George i had similiar problems and it was water in my fuel after all that rain we had i fuel up on the water and developed this problem. replace fuel filter from the tank to the pump and the water fuel seperator. Also put that fuel enzyme in the tank to stabalize the tank.

"George - The anti-siphon valv

"George - The anti-siphon valve is located at the pick-up on the tank. Remove the fuel line, then the valve which is screwed into the tank fitting. Remove it and plunge the ball with a small screwdriver. The ball should move freely and return to the closed position on it's own. Make sure that when you reinstall it, the ball is toward the tank and the spring is away from the tank.

Good luck
Rick"

Rick thankyou for that informa

Rick thankyou for that information.Can you recommend a good service manual for this engine?I will check all those things and get back to you.

Carl wouldn't water in the gas cause problems even at idle?

Thank again to all

George D.

"Sure George, just click on th

"Sure George, just click on the "Engine Manuals" icon at the top of this page. Also, George, did the problem exist prior to the work you did?"

The previous owner had the eng

The previous owner had the engine timing and idle all screwed up. It was 2degrees and the idle was way low.So when I went for a ride it just couldn't go WOT. But the rev problem was not there.

George D

Rick I checked the anti-siphon

Rick I checked the anti-siphon valve and pulled the fuel filter off and drained it into a gas container.
The valve is working perfectly and there was no water in the filter.Someone at the marina told me that the water stays trapped in the filter.Is this true?Anyway I wasn't able to test run the boat afterward because my batteries are dead.I will replace them tomorrow.
Any other ideas would be helpful.

Thanks George D

George - If it is a paper elem

George - If it is a paper element type filter the paper will hold water but evidence of water will still be seen in the fuel you dump out. If you didn't see any cloudy fuel you most likely do not have water in the system.

Back