Logo

1989 force 50hp cant get to run

bassangler71949

"i can get it to fire but cant

"i can get it to fire but cant get it to run i replace the fuel line, cleaned the carb, and replace the spark plugs. what am i over looking"

"Jamie,
have you...

"Jamie,
have you...

Checked the compression?

Confirmed spark at each cylinder?

Does it start, then idle, then quickly die out? or just kinda chug and quit?

Has the motor been stored for a while? is the motor "new to you"?"

"i got spark and compression.

"i got spark and compression. im am getting back fire through the exhaust which is not good, im thinking of going to have to replace the stator and the trigger. its a friend of mines boat and and he not engine bond what so ever."

"Jamie, what you describe soun

"Jamie, what you describe sounds like a rather common "trigger" problem.

I spent weeks last year running down a "phantom" ignition problem on a 90 horse Force which turned out to be the trigger.

If any of your cylinders are firing normally your stator is almost certainly OK. These 20 pole stators are cross wired all over - sometimes the feeds are ganged together etc so they typically either work or are totally toast.

The trigger (sensor) on these are tough to test because they always seem to read correctly when you do put a meter on them. When they do start to go, the problem is often intermittent.

If you go the route of replacing the trigger (some mfg's call it a "sensor") I would stay away from the OEM from Merc.

CDI/Raiper makes a super aftermarket version. It is better engineered with better gauge wiring and is significantly cheaper than Merc's version.

In fact, for any Prestolite ignition components, I always replace with CDI.

I don't know for sure if Andrew who runs this site carries these parts for your model (and his prices are great if he does).

If not, a good online source is E Basic Power www.ebasicpower.com - I have dealt with them - prices/service are excellent..."

Back