Logo

23 electronic conversion qyestions

cannonballkev

Contributing Member
"I installed the new petronix

"I installed the new petronix conversion kit today. Here is my issue. I can only get it to start if I hook up pos wire to ignition 12 volt. I have it hooked up to wire on alt. Is this ok to do? The two orignal wires are hooked to the pos side of the coil, do i still need tose connected/ Again the red wire from the new kit is connected to the alt ignition 12 volt, it is not going to the coil, wont start that way.
is that right or do i hook up red wire to pos on coil and run a jumper from alt 12 volt ignition to the coil also?
The grey esa wire connected to the neg side of coil instantly kills the motor ,did this with points also. Im assuming that the esa is bad. yes?"

"If your ESA killed the points

"If your ESA killed the points system then it's probably defective. You should get a new CDI/Rapir one which will also work with your Pertronix.
There should have been instructions with the Pertronix but most of them do require a constant 12v supply. The 2 wires on the coil, one will come from the start solenoid to give the coil a full 12v during starting and the other one is a resistor wire to drop the voltage while running.

I think you need to disconnect the resistor wire, run the alt wire to the pos side of the coil and also hook the Pertronix up to the pos side of the coil."

"ok thanks, the two wires on t

"ok thanks, the two wires on the pos side of the coil are in one round crimp connector, i didnt want to start cutting wires. I know which one goes to the strting solenoed, i will cut the other one (resistor wire) and hook the petronix wire to the positive side of coil.

the instructions says to hook petronix wire to the ignigtion side of resister wire or resistir blen, I dont have a reistor balen"

"The 2 wires might go to the s

"The 2 wires might go to the same ring terminal but hopefully they are color coded, I think the one from the start solenoid will be black/purple and the resistor wire will be red/purple which if you follow it all the way back comes from a splice out of the alternator. OMC uses the resistor wire instead of a ballast resistor and it's actually built right into the engine harness whch makes it trickier to find and trace."

I had read somewhere that the

I had read somewhere that the sparkplug gap shpuld be changed. yes/ no? Also is timming still gonna be what the orignal specs say?
Thanks

I don't think you change t

I don't think you change the plug gap unless you also changed the coil to give a stronger spark. Timing should still be set the same.

"Can't tell from the pic i

"Can't tell from the pic if that is a high voltage one like 40,000-45,000 similar to Pertronix Flamethrower, if it was then you could probably open that gap up to .040-.045"

"the kit was $200, comes with

"the kit was $200, comes with the diode for the esa, module, and coil. they sell the coil for $100 by itself, so Im kinda sssuming it it as you described.
Hopefully with all these small things i have done, i will be good to go for awhile. if anything else breaks, its time for a much newer boat.
thanks for all y
our help"

Back