Logo

350 merc thunderbolt ignition

vinnyb

i just replaced the head gaske

i just replaced the head gaskets on my 1999 merc 350. im have trouble getting the timing right. I set the #1 piston to tdc and put the distributer in with the rotor pointing to the #1 cyl. Then i tried starting it and alls it does is pop. All the plug wires are going to the right cyl and i tried rotating the distributer while cranking and it just pops more.. can someone help me???

can some one help me??????

"popping from the carb? sign o

"popping from the carb? sign of too tight valves.
how did you adjust the lifters?
The rotor dosent point to #1 cylinder., it goes to #1 on the dist cap."

yea it was popping from the ca

yea it was popping from the carb. alls i did with the lifters was snug them but not tight just enough so you can wiggle them. i was trying to find the proper way to set them but couldnt find anything.

"Is the rotor pointing to #1 o

"Is the rotor pointing to #1 on the cap ,clockwise firing order 1,8,4,3,6,5,7,2 .some caps have both rotations embossed on the dist cap."

"When number 1 cylinder was at

"When number 1 cylinder was at TDC, were the inlet and exhaust valves shut ?? You could be 360 degrees out."

yea on the cap it has big numb

yea on the cap it has big numbers and below it small numbers. I used the big numbers for the wires. So im gunna try it again and see if i can get it. If the rotar doesnt point to the #1 at tdc what should i do?

"Go Slowly.
Rotate the motor

"Go Slowly.
Rotate the motor watching for the #1 intake valve to open and close, then either using a soft probe or the timing mark , rotate motor untill "0" TDC.and also watch rotor to see what direction it is turning,
look at the cap to locate #1 wire, install dist so rotor if facing in that direction, and sparkplug wires in 1,8,4,3,6,5,7,2.
I`ll pm my cell ."

Back