View Full Version : Chrysler 99

03-22-2009, 04:39 PM
"I just got a 9.9 model # 92hb made between 1970-1973 This might be a dumb question, When checking and changing the lower unit oil there are two plugs upper and lower, The upper say's vent by it, the lower say's fill. Do you really fill by the lower one. Can't be much oil in it if you fill by the lower plug, it's down near the bottom of the lower unit.I thought It might be a drain plug for the oil? What is the upper vent one for then? If you know could you let me know the correct procedure.

Thankss Dan"

03-22-2009, 05:03 PM
"Yes, you fill from the bottom plug and vent air out of the top plug. You need to buy a hand pump that screws into the bottom of the gear oil bottle, then upon pumping, the gear oil fills from the bottom up, untill you see oil come out of the vent hole. Plug the vent hole before removing the pump hose from the bottom plug. The hose is designed to screw into the plug hole. I got my pump at Wallmart for about 4 bucks. Hope that helps."