Logo

50 HP LPDI shutting off suddenly

5hawgs

"Need help ya'll. Got the

"Need help ya'll. Got the boat two weeks ago. A 04 50 HP LPDI MD50B Tohatsu.. bank repo. Not a scratch on motor, boat a 16' Carolina Skiff stick steer 96.. Brought boat home fired off immediately.. first run after warmup ran fine for 15 min on the water.. Second trip ran it for about 15 min to my house, ran fine.. third trip, ran for ten min. then shut down abruptly. Tried to start on water but seemed like no fire.. trolled home.. This morn found about half a canister of water in the filter, cleaned twice now no water.. Still wouldn't fire. installed new plugs. Would not crank but acted like it tried to fire..Plugs were supposed to be a cross from Napa.. bled fuel and air from schraders at back of engine, still nothing.. Finally unplugged TPS switch at engine. It would shock me each time I touched it and the motor and a shock when I returned to the key. But I turned the key and shazzam It ran fine.. Idled around for ten min to warm up when I accelerated It tried to take off but died just like yesterday.Can't verify fire without helper.But I think it's electrical. I snugged up the grounds I could find, but nothing.. Got to let my starter rest.. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks keith"

"Update.. Terminal stud had s

"Update.. Terminal stud had separated at fuel pump..just fell off during dissasembley.. got a new one on the way, man they're pricey.. wish I knew whitch one I could use from a car..still not sure how come it would'nt fire at idle, looks like the idle comes from the float assymbly. ya'll weigh in if you would .. Will put pump on then try, and post Keith"

If you got shocked you have a

If you got shocked you have a bad ground. If you have a bad ground the TPS will almost certainly kick in and out causing you to manually do the TPS activation sequence each time you use the engine.

"Got my new pump in today. Ins

"Got my new pump in today. Installed and it fired off in three seconds. Idled fine and revedde but unfortunatley got a hairlne crack in the fuel filter nipple in all this so got a new one the way, so got to wait on the road test..still don't know what caused the sucker to seperate at where it came through the terminal base. May have been a drop of water causing corrosion or factory default or gremlin.. Thanks for the input.. Keith"

"Hey TG, I Just realized your

"Hey TG, I Just realized your post picture looks just like a gremlin.. You didn't cause this did you?"

"If I could have made money of

"If I could have made money off of your misery I might have
"

Back