Logo

Crack in intake maif merc350

jconti

i just cleaned up my intake ma

i just cleaned up my intake manifold and found 2 cracks in the cooling port on the bottom side. directly under where the therm. housing bolts on. can i get someone who welds cast iron to weld this up? what options do i have? appreciate all the advice.

79' century w/ merc. 350 (5.7) 898 outdrive. old mallory point ignition. 2bbl mercarb

"intake manifold and found

"intake manifold and found 2 cracks in the cooling port on the bottom side. directly under where the therm. housing bolts on."

Replace it; it will crack again when it is bolted in place.

"well guys, as much as i appre

"well guys, as much as i appreciate your help, i'm gonna have to go against the grain on this one. i don't have the money for a new intake manifold. i work in an industrial plant with a great machine shop. i'm told spray welding cast iron is the superior method. i researched online, and found a few feeds from guys spray welding heads up on supercharged funny cars and such. so, i'm gonna give it a go. the guy in my machine shop says if i can get it torqued down without cracking it again, it should last the long haul. any thoughts???"

"Salvage yard intake if you ca

"Salvage yard intake if you can find one. Those old style 2 barrel intakes were used until 1978 on cars and trucks. Also check machine shops and racers, they are always picking up old 350s and throw 2 barrel intakes away."

"james,

thanks, i didn&#39

"james,

thanks, i didn't know they were widely used in the auto industry, i'll look around. i guess if i'm pulling it from an old chevy it would be adviseable to have it pressure checked. is this true, also should it be re-surfaced to ensure good seat, or not.

bt doctor,

if you have one you would like to sell, i would be glad to buy it from you. how much do you want for it?

using the one that i had welded up did make me a little nervous, and the last thing i want to do is put the motor all back together only to find out i gotta do it all over again..."

in my opinion if you resurface

in my opinion if you resurface the intake then you should resurface the heads to gain what you are looking for just use a good set of gaskets. im sure the one from bt doctur is ok

Back