Logo

Poorly Winterized possible issue

berto

"So I got my first boat in Oct

"So I got my first boat in October. a 18ft Searay with a MCM 170. Among other things I understood all I really had to do was remove the rear most drain plug from the heat exchanger. I left the plug out all weekend.

Fast forward to today. I noticed the coolant was low. So I filled the coolant tank only to hear....drip drip. Put my finger under the drain hole and sure enough there is coolant coming from the rear drain.

Does this mean something got fubared over the winter?

Also, the oil filter is 35-866340Q03 (Quicksilver) is there any way to relate that part number to a pure one filter?"

"did you test the antifreeze s

"did you test the antifreeze strength in the fall?

poking a wire up the heat exchanger drain usually recommended in case sand or scale floats down and plugs the drain, leaving water in the heat exchanger"

"No I did not, but I know liqu

"No I did not, but I know liquid came out when I drained it in the fall.

Also, a few weeks ago I pressurized the system at the cap and it was not leaking. Which has me confused."

i prefer using the wix 51086&

i prefer using the wix 51086(half qt and 51060(quart) not really all that much more just make sure whatever filter you get it has a anti
drainback valve (adv)

""Also, a few weeks ago I

""Also, a few weeks ago I pressurized the system at the cap and it was not leaking."

What PSI and how long did it hold it? Holding 15-20 PSI for 20 mins. is a good rule of thumb."

There's a drain for each s

There's a drain for each side on that cooler I think. 1 raw water and 1 fresh water.
Sounds like the wrong one has been drained for the winter maybe.

"I thought I read somewhere th

"I thought I read somewhere that the rear plug was for the 'lake water' and the front plug was for coolant, which did not have to get drained.

What is the best way to test the heat exchanger?

If I do need one of these heat exchangers, where is the best place to get one?

urgh I really didn't need this, I thought the boat was ready for the water

I will try to pressurize the system again. A few weeks ago it was holding it rock hard at 13psi. I didn't know how much PSI the seals could handle so I didn't want to exceed the cap's limit. When I poured in coolant this time it was just dripping out."

"I'm confused, is the MCM

"I'm confused, is the MCM 170 the same as the MCM 470? If so you are only supposed to pull the end caps off the heat exchanger to drain according to the shop manual. The plugs at the bottom are I believe drain just the closed cooling. My 1982 only has one HE bottom plug. It sounds like you drained coolant from the heat exchanger last fall. Not a lot of info to go on but I thought I would throw that out there. If you pressure tested the cooling system and it held then it fill it run it until warmed up and recheck the level."

"Take the heat exchanger to a

"Take the heat exchanger to a radiator shop for thorough cleaning, testing and repair."

So I took the exchanger off an

So I took the exchanger off and sure enough one of the tubes has a leak. Going to take it to a radiator shop so they can seal off that tube.

pudget you are correct on my 4

pudget you are correct on my 470 and according to the manual i just pull the front cap off of my exchanger to drain for the winter also check and change if needed (the antifreeze) ive never did anything else but this and have had no problems

Back