Logo

Mercruiser 470

Hello... Well I have a Mercrus

Hello... Well I have a Mercrusier 470 - CID 224 1984 inboard and i was woundering if anyone has a manual for sale or even if i can get images from it.. what I need is for someone to be able to tell me how to and where to hook up the basic wiring ( with out the harness ) including the key ignition switch as well.. I need to get the system to turn over and running and then I will work on the next stage with tachs and etc. so if anyone can help it would ba greatly appreciated.. thanks

"This is a simple diagram of w

"This is a simple diagram of what i am tryin to hook up for my mercrusier 470.. I was wondering if this is right and where does the two red wires go.....
250500.jpg
"

"Hey Bondo,

Looks as though

"Hey Bondo,

Looks as though the link to iboats forum is not working, maybe the site is down. The links to the manuals posted by mike to the mercruiser downloads are working OK. I just checked it out."

Left wire is red/purple and ru

Left wire is red/purple and runs to pin 6 on main engine harness.

Right wire is yellow/red and runs to pin 7 on main engine harness.

What I need to know is where d

What I need to know is where do I hook up a ignition key to these wires without a wire harness..and also on the starter do I hook the red positive from Battery to the big post and the large yellow wire from the post besides it on the nest bolt .. or do i hook up only all wires to one post..I have different drawings and one shows a red wire to pne post and yellow wire to the other post and the other drawing I have shows all the wires to one post..

The battery + RED wire con

The battery + RED wire connects to the large stud on the starter solenoid on the starter. The RED wire from the main engine circuit breaker and the ORANGE wire from the regulator also attach at the same point.

The yellow/red wire from the slave solenoid large stud attaches to the small stud on the starter solenoid on the starter.

Ignition key yellow w/red attaches to the SLAVE solenoid bottom LEFT small stud.

Go to eBay and you'll find a factory manual for this engine.

Well so far so good with the i

Well so far so good with the info i got.. now i am one step closer.. I was wonder wht is the best way to flush the engine out and how would i go about do it..i want to get water dirt or whatever would have gotten in there..

Well I know things get in. cau

Well I know things get in. cause the carb is off and the plugs were out. so stuff gets in.. so what would be the best solution to clean it out.. I know a oil change.. but I want to clean out the engine of anything.. just in case.. better to be save than sorry..

"Now i`m confused. First you s

"Now i`m confused. First you say flush the engine(cooling system) then you are wondering how to get foreign matter out of the intake and cylinder heads??????????????????????????????
You don`t allow foreign matter to enter the engine. If it did you pulll the carb and retreive it,pull the heads to retreive it, or just run it and risk losing the engine."

I was just asking how to clean

I was just asking how to clean out the main engine.. just to make sure nothin got in there.. through spark plug openings and carb opening.. cause they were opened to the weather.. also a problem I am tryin to figure out that has me stumped is this.. I have a new starter.. new solinoid.. new battery.. and I hook everything up and try to start it. well the engine turns over then i shut it for a sec or long at times and try to start it once again.. and then all I get is a click.. then i try again and it starts.. I have cleaned all connects for positive and ground.. I have checked every wire with a tester and all is fine. all the wires are new and connectors are all new as well.. basically the electrical part to start is all new.. so why does it do that.. start. then click then start.. and so forth.. any ideas...

sounds like a dirty ground wir

sounds like a dirty ground wire to me but if you say you cleaned them all does the starter need to be shimmed? Just a thought

"I have checked every wire

"I have checked every wire with a tester and all is fine. all the wires are new and connectors are all new as well.."

Perform a pull/wiggle test on the new connections. Recheck starter solenoid connectors and connections.

dont mean to but in but iwas l

dont mean to but in but iwas looking at buying an 85 fourwinds 20ft with the 3.7l mercruiser ive been hearing that theyre only good if your take care of them. but anyways the guy wants 800 for it the boats in pretty deecent shape but says it needs a sea water pump cant find one of them is he wrong

no he is right. they are not t

no he is right. they are not the best motor.. most inboards are auto engines converted over to marine. the 470 mercruiser was the test run for a full marine engine.. they had charging problems and over time a convertion kit was made so that a alternator was installed.. but they leak in differnt places..it is a motor that needs more care than most.. if i could i would get rid of mine.. but i am stuck with it and will keep working n it
plus Ebay sells many parts for the merc 470..good luck

Yes that is for sure... make s

Yes that is for sure... make sure the floor and transom and stringers are for sure not rotten..it can be a coastly things to fix....
But as I am into messing around with boats.. I myself dont mind some work.. and i get boats that need more than a bit hehe. right now.. i have stripped my whole boat down.. removed all the wirer and prety much starting from stratch.. if you are into that then it could be a fun project.. but be careful.. little mistakes you dont see can be costly and lots of work in the end..

"Any boat that wasn't take

"Any boat that wasn't taken care of can be a hole to throw money into! Even if the boat was free you could easily spend more on it than it's worth and more than if you just went out and bought a used boat in good shape. Trust me i've gone both ways and learned my lesson. My current boat was well taken care of by the original owner with a stack of paper work from the same marine service place. I still performed all the usual tests but I am pretty confident I got a good fairly dependable lower maintenance and lower costing boat eventhough I paid a good price for it initially. With a boat you have to get over the "with a little elbow grease I can fix this thing up" It always costs way more than just elbow grease.
"

im like pudget i lucked into a

im like pudget i lucked into a 1984 cobia sportster with a 470 and i swear this guy took better care of his boat than he did his wife i have a stack of paperwork as well and i take it to the same shop the original seller of the boat .ive had boats that appered to been taken care of and werent so be carefull on what u get

"im more than willing to get m

"im more than willing to get my hands dirty and i know that not taking care of anything will turn any indestructable motor into a heap but i was just wondering it there were any constant problems, like with cars they have tech service bulletins its not quite a recall but a very common problem. i was looking through the board and noticed people had problems with them over heating and warping heads and cracking blocks but there was never really to much details about it just that it happened. thats really what im getting at, i know they have charging problems which doing the alternator swap isnt a problem but rebuilding a motor is not something i wanna do. and he says it needs a sea water pump i was trying to price one out and cant find it, does this boat even have one"

cant answer your question on t

cant answer your question on the pump but the only thing ive heard about the 470s is that they are high maintenance but they are good motors if they were treated half decent since day one ive had no problems with mine but like i said it has been taken care of NO marine motor is bullet proof they all have there faults one thing i can say is parts are plentifull

"Guy is coerrcto on the Ex Man

"Guy is coerrcto on the Ex Manis being expensive. I believe I've gotten quotes of $1200 and that doesn't include the coolant reservior which is attached. But the bright side is I have seen them for a lot less on ebay and craigslist. I saw one on CL A guy was selling brand new with reserv. for $500. So it's not all bad. And I have budgeted for the alternator set up when my stator goes bad but it hasn't happened yet. As far as over heating, again that is from lack of maintaining the cooling system. Either they didn't change the OD impellor or anti freeze or ex mani when it needed it.

But besides the motor there are plenty of other things to sink money into. The outdrive, floors, interior, wiring, canvas. You're probably looking at a min of $6000 just to purchase this stuff. Might as well spend the cash on a baot that is already to take out on the lake instead of sitting in your driveway for the summer."

Question.. does a starter or s

Question.. does a starter or soleniod have some kinds of reset inside.. cause at times the motor will turn right over and then when i try again I get a click only from the soleniod.. now keep in mind.. the starter and solenoid and wires are all new.. and i just grabbed another solenoid and tried it. still same thing. plus all the batteries are charged and new.. can anyone tell me why this may do this..

thanks

Back