Logo

43 engine coupler

wblazer

Regular Contributor
"I want to address this to Guy

"I want to address this to Guy Gasper, if i may.
Guy, i have a question about what you wrote on an other discussion today. You said if you could smell rubber burning in the engine compartment, it could be the coupler going bad. I had my gimbal bearing go at the end of last season. At the time it went i could smell rubber burning. The OD is off the boat at this time, getting ready to reinstall. My question is how can i check the coupler before i put the drive back on.
Before i removed the OD it was still working, just making a knocking noise. The bearing came out in broken pieces. I am learning more about marine engines every day reading what you guys write. Please advise, thanks for the help."

"Ayuh,... I ain't Guy,...

"Ayuh,... I ain't Guy,... But I'll give it a Crack anyways,...

Get right down, Way aft by where the shaft goes into the back of the motor,..
And wipe your finger all in,+ around the coupler...
If it comes up with Powdered Rubber,...
Pull the motor,+ Replace the Coupler....
Also,...
If the Splines are Sharp,+ pointy,.. Replace it...
The Splines should be Flat on top, probably 1/16" to 3/32" Flat...

You Do have an Alignment Bar,..?? Right,..??"

"Bondo,
Thanks for the your t

"Bondo,
Thanks for the your thoughts. I will do what you suggest. I was hoping the removal of the engine was not necessary. Yes i did purchase a alignment bar to check after installing new gimbal bearing. Learning as i go."

"Nice answer Bondo. Walt, he&

"Nice answer Bondo. Walt, he's more experienced then me. The broken gimbal bearing didn't help the coupler.

Made my boat "water ready" today! She runs great.
rain.gif
sad.gif
"

Great info Bondo.
I can see

Great info Bondo.
I can see my coupler when I grease the fitting on my 2000 4.3. Do I still have to pull the engine to replace it. By turning the engine by hand I could get at all the bolts.
Not trying to steel Walt's post but maybe it would apply to him.

"Carl, all the help i can get

"Carl, all the help i can get is appreciated. My boat is a 1986 Four Winns. Don't know if the bolts are accessible.Bondo what do you think?"

"Ayuh,...

The coupler is Be

"Ayuh,...

The coupler is Behind/ in front of the rear motor mount, aka the Flywheel cover...
The motor Has to come out to remove the Flywheel Cover to access the Coupler..."

"Thanks for the info Bondo. Ho

"Thanks for the info Bondo. Hope the coupler is not damaged, and engine does not have to come out. I have worked on auto engines before rebuilds etc. Marine equipment is all new to me.
What do you think a shop would charge to pull engine and replace the coupler? If i have everything else done. All they have to do is pull the engine install coupler and put it back in.Or would it save enough for me to rent a hoist and do it my self? What do you think? Thanks for your help."

"Thanks all for your help. Goi

"Thanks all for your help. Going to check the coupler this weekend. If needed i will be doing the job myself with a rented hoist. I have one last question, just curious. How is the coupler constructed ? Is it two steel flanges with a rubber center, or is it three pieces?"

"Ayuh,...

Depending on Whic

"Ayuh,...

Depending on Which coupler you've got,...

It's either a Steel or Aluminum housing with a Rubber insert, with a Steel spline insert inside of the whole thing..."

Back