Logo

Volvo Tamd41B Turbo Oil Leak

saltwaters

"I have less than 15 hours on

"I have less than 15 hours on a TAMD41B. The turbo is leaking oil into the bilge. The six bolts that secure the compressor to the exhaust side are tight. I believe the bolts for the oil inlet and outlet are tight.

I discovered this late this afternoon after running it. I didn't have an opportunity to look for for the source of the leak. It appears to be dripping from the clamp to the exhaust elbow.

The turbo was supposed to have been rebuilt when the engine was rebuilt.

Any ideas on how to determine the source of the leak? Just in case I pull the oil inlet and output lines, what is the best sealant (if any) to use on these gaskets?

Thanks

Bill"

"Should be able to see externa

"Should be able to see external leakage at oil pipes on turbo. If leakage is inside, either turbo seals are bad or crankcase breater hose is blowing so much oil that turbo is sucking it up and leakage occurs. Is engine smoke excessive when operated?"

"Richard,

I discovered the

"Richard,

I discovered the leak just before it was time to go home. The only place I could see a drip was on the bottom of the clamp for the exhaust elbow. I didn't notice any oil coming out of the area of the turbine housing. There might have been some there but I didn't notice any.

The engine makes a little black smoke if I power up too quickly.

I might be able to take it for a short drive on Wednesday evening. I can poke my head under the turbo and see where it's coming from.

What type of sealant, if any do you recommend for the oil pipes if I find they are leaking? I don't want to clog the passageways and stop the oil from flowing through the bearings.

Thank you for the quick response.

Bill"

"I checked the bolts on the oi

"I checked the bolts on the oil lines for the turbo and the six that hold the insert in the turbo housing. All are tight and the turbo does not appear to be the problem.

The oil is dripping from under the bell housing. Could this be the rear main seal and can that seal be replaced with the engine in the boat.

By the way, I had both gears (MS4B and MS5B) rebuilt. the MS5B is harder to rotate than the MS4b gear.I also installed brand new Volvo dampners on the flywheels when I got the engines."

"Bill, Could be rear seal or i

"Bill, Could be rear seal or input seal of gear into flywheel case. Black or clear oil out of case? Rear seal cannot be replaced without removing flywheel case from engine. Could you do in boat, unknown. Rotation of gear could depend on shimming of gear."

"Richard, It smells like motor

"Richard, It smells like motor oil but also has an odor that I think is exhaust soot. I should mention the builder forgot to tighten the six bolts on the side of the turbo housing. Wasn't paying attention. It leaked oil out the side of the turbo for a few hours of run time. I pulled the turbo, sent it to him to check it and then reinstalled it. I checked and double checked the turbo bolts and oil lines to the turbo. There are no leaks on these lines. Could this oil have collected inside the bell housing and is still dripping out?

Thank you,

Bill"

"No way for it to get inside h

"No way for it to get inside housing from leak above. The six bolts holding compressor side of turbo are dry fit. There should not be any oil past seals in compressor housing. If you have oil at exhaust elbow , either turbo seal is leaking or oil is exiting in exhaust gas. Either way, not good. Only other way for oil to get in compressor side is thru breather tube to filter housing if installed."

There is no oil in the compres

There is no oil in the compressor side of the turbo. I have tightened the six bolts on the side of the turbo and can find no leaks there. I understand the internal seal could be leaking. I do have a small hose going from rear valve cover to back side of filter housing. I'll be working on it this weekend and will report back.

Back