Logo

Merc Alpha 1 water in the leg oil

tyee

"Ive got a 19.5 ft. Glasply, w

"Ive got a 19.5 ft. Glasply, with a 485 Merc., and a Alpha 1 leg.I recently noticed i little dribble of oil comeing out of one of the water jacket? holes on the lower starboard side of the leg, below the bullet. When i checked the oil, it was greenish blue, so there's water getting in, somewhere. I have drained out all of the oil and was going to fill it back up and take it for a test run to see if it is again contaminated with water. I had not done my seasonal oil change in the leg. the oil has been in there since last summer with maybe 200 hrs on it. Does any one know which seals are the first to go? or noticeing oil in that holes indicates which seal/gaskets might be gone.I've had the prop off and the spinlde looks ok. Also where can i guy get a detailed drawing of a merc leg, online?

On another topic, the Rochester 2 jet carb on the 485 Merc, seams to starve itself after a good run, and has difficulty starting, after sitting. I sometimes have to prime it to get it going. I don't know if it gets a airlock in the fuel line or if it evaporates or what, but it only happens after a good run when it warm and then sits for 20 min. or so.

thanks for any help

Ian"

"prop shaft seal, shift shaft

"prop shaft seal, shift shaft seals

could be time for carb cleaning/rebuild, check your fuel/water separator, fuel filter(s) should be one in the carb where the fuel line goes in, may need the idle mixtures re-adjusted, could also be a little water in the fuel especially if you dont have a F/W sep or it needs to be changed."

i recently changed my oil in m

i recently changed my oil in my in my outdrive it was greenish blue and the oil that i pumped into it new ofcourse was the same color so im not 100%sure that if its greenish blue that it indicates water

"greenish blue is a high quali

"greenish blue is a high quality oil, no water in that.. you dont want to see white or greyish oil, that means water got in.. nor do you want to see clear liquid coming out first.. that's the water sitting on the bottom of the lube."

Back