Logo

43 V6 190 2bbl electric fuel pump hard to start

reeter

"Help! I have this engine in 2

"Help! I have this engine in 28 foot Harris Kayot Pontoon, very little room to work in the dog house...My concern is that it takes several revolutions of the engine for the motor to start, they tell me that I need "X" pounds of oil pressure to kick in the electric fuel pump. I hate to think of replacing a starter, probably would have to pull the engine...Why won't my motor start right up, is gas bleeding back down from my carb, I have taken the fuel pup off and it does not appear to allow anything to bleed back through it...will it hurt anything if I bypass the oil pressure sending unit that runs juice to my fule pump so when I hit the key the fuel pump would run gas to my carb...that would make it start imediatley ...when I shoot some gas in the carb and hit the key it fires right up...would I screw up any on board computer if I were to by pass that sender.....any ideas or suggestions."

"The electric fuel pump should

"The electric fuel pump should come on for a short time when you turn the key to on/run. Unless some one has messed with the start bypass system then the starter will energize the pump during start. This bypasses the oil pressure switch already so it is not necessary for you to do so. If someone has replaced the starter with the wrong unit (I have seen this a lot) The syatem won't work correctly. Try this. Turn the key to on/run for 30 sec to 1 min, pump the throttle 2x and then try to start. If this works it's probably time to rebuild the carb."

"..."The electric fuel pum

"..."The electric fuel pump should come on for a short time when you turn the key to on/run"

Assuming that system is used on htis boat, and it is functioning correctly.

You can find out by putting a hand on the pump and turning the key on. You should hear/ feel it running. If not, install a momentary push button to run the pump prior to cranking the motor.

I did this on my ol Bayliner and it worked great.

Jeff"

Back