Logo

Oil Pressure Gauge

wblazer

Regular Contributor
"Hi Guys,
Could someone tell

"Hi Guys,
Could someone tell me where to buy a low cost manual oil pressure gauge. I want it to attach to my 1986 4.3, to trouble shoot high oil pressure.

Thanks"

"Bondo,

Thanks, the oil pre

"Bondo,

Thanks, the oil pressure gauge registered as high as it could go, after oil and filter change.
Is that normal to run high for awhile? What are your thoughts on that.

Thanks for your help."

yes its normal for your oil pr

yes its normal for your oil pressure to be high when the engine is cool and should drop some when the motor gets to operating temp. but as far as it peggin the gauge im not sure about that how far does your gauge read and what type/weight oil are you using

"The oil pressure gauge is nai

"The oil pressure gauge is nailed at full 80 psi.
The filter and oil i bought from a local marine store.Both are Mercruiser brand, oil is 25W-40.
What do you guys think?
Thanks"

seems a bit high walt does it

seems a bit high walt does it go down any after it warms up or does it stay pegged ? seems high to me. just for peice of mind i would check it with another gauge from any local auto parts store just to be safe. what did it read before u changed the oil? P.S what temp is the motor starting at approx when u start it

"Steven,the engine was cold wh

"Steven,the engine was cold when this happened. I
was getting it ready for winter lay up. It was on trailer with muffs on. Maybe it did not run long enough. Normally ran about 60 psi. last season. Going to buy test gauge as you suggested.
Not real comfortable with the gauges on this boat.Thanks to all for your help."

My 1987 4.3L oil pressure send

My 1987 4.3L oil pressure sender was erratic; replaced it and pressures evened out.

"One day I was doing about 40

"One day I was doing about 40 mph down the lake and glanced at the oil pressure and it read zero.

It was a faulty sender, but it scared me so bad I plumbed a proper mechanical gauge right to the helm.

I didn't look for low cost, I bought a nice Stewart Warner and nice high pressure 1/4" hose."

Where is the oil pressure send

Where is the oil pressure sender on the Merc 4.3? mine too is erratic.
I couldn't find it in the documentation (downloaded from Merc)

Chris:

The oil pressure sen

Chris:

The oil pressure sender on my 1987 4.3L is located on the top port side of the intake manifold next to the dist.

you are correct GUY but the

you are correct GUY but the original liquid filled gauge came out to make the numbers appear bigger

Back