Logo

Coil for AQ151a

G

Gerald Hetrick

"Hello, I'm new to boating

"Hello, I'm new to boating and the forum. I have an 86 penta 151a. I think my coil is bad, no spark from the coil wire but have juice at the positive terminal of the coil. Question I have is will a universial coil without a resistor be ok to try? My wire diagram shows a resistor in the wire from the switch. Just don't want to mess something up. Thanks for any advice"

"A universal coil with an inte

"A universal coil with an internal resistor will work, they normally have 3 ohm resistance."

Thanks El that's what I th

Thanks El that's what I thought. I did put the new coil on. Still no spark? The motor started yesterday. As soon as it started I thought is was going to rev to high and pulled thortle back quick. The engine died and hasn't fired since. I was wondering if it could be in the "kill switch?" But would I have juice to the positive side of the coil? I have the shop manual and I'm tinkering to see if I can get it figured out. Any thoughts would be helpful

"I think I have to touch my fa

"I think I have to touch my favourite ignition subject again. If you are thinking in replacing points and capacitor, consider upgrading to a Pertronix electronic ignition kit. These kits sell for around $70, and so far nobody in the forum who has tried them (touch wood
biggrin.gif
) has reported any negative results. If you decide to go for one of those kits, what you will experience amongst other things is a better start (even during wet weather) and a steady, smooth idle; plus, of course, you will never have to change points again!!

For more information, check this:

http://www.pertronix.com/ignition_products/ignitor.htm

http://www.pertronix.com/ptx2005_cat/ptx05_marine.pdf

The Pertronix kit number for your Bosch distributor is 2842."

"Thanks for all the advice. I

"Thanks for all the advice. I got the boat running with new points. I believe I will go with the ignition you mentioned when $ permit. I was trying to find a electronic ignition kit when I replaced the points, but nobody local could point me in the right direction.

In the week I've had the boat and discovered this board I have found it invaulable. Again thanks so much."

Back