Logo

Recommendations to replace Exhaust Manifolds amp Elbows 50 Mercruiser

bayray

Contributing Member
"2000 Mercruiser 5.0 raw water

"2000 Mercruiser 5.0 raw water cooled. Any suggestions on after market Manifolds & 4" Elbows? I've got several quotes for parts alone, ranging from $500 to $800

Also, I've seen some confusing information relating to the riser/elbow gaskets. Talking about 'extra' holes, I need them...I don't need them???

I have not removed the existing items yet, so I don't really know what I need as far as this goes.

I can make out the Mercruiser part numbers on the elbows: 807988-0 but can't see the actual p/n on the exhaust manifolds.

As always, any help greatly appreciated here in Florida! Temps been in the mid 80's all week. Gotta get this fixed real soon!"

"Since you appear to boat in s

"Since you appear to boat in salt water, try stainless steel; very expensive. Check eBay for new OE "take offs". I saw a set last week that sold for about $450. If you use OE mans and risers, install a salt neutralizing system and flush after each dip.

Sorry that your temps are in the 80s; must be hard to take.
sun.gif
"

"Guy, you're killing me!

"Guy, you're killing me! Looking at the price of Stainless exhaust parts, I'm sure they would last a long time if not for-ever, but I'd be divorced if the lovely wife found out I paid this much, especially when her car has the cylinder head off waiting for rebuild!

And yes, Guy is correct, majority of my boating is in salt water (90%), and I religiously flush and rinse after each use. These are the original exhaust parts, and have never been changed, so I thought they've lasted pretty good for almost 9 years old.

Not finding any OE take-off stuff on ebay yet.
I did find online a complete kit: 2-manifolds 2-risers, gaskets and mounting hardware for $536 plus $50 for shipping. These are advertised as 'Ceramic Coated'.

Anyone know of any Pro's or Con's of using these, especially in salt water?"

Joe:

First take care of the

Joe:

First take care of the wife and you'll have a great life. Get that head back on her car! If you got 9 years out of saltwater use then you must have a big fresh water bill in the boating months.

"I have the exact same motor,

"I have the exact same motor, and still on the original manifolds and elbows, too. The o/o used to trailer, and he religiously flushed after use in sw. I bought the boat last year and kept it in sw. Starboard elbow shows some rust where it joins the mani, port is fine. Starboard elbow and mani run about 30 degrees hotter than port. The surveyor when I bought the boat recommended changing out the starboard elbow this year, I'm considering doing both sides. A friend with the same motor a few years older recommends changing out the mani's now while the elbows etc are off. I've been confused by the gasket issue, too, I was going to talk it over with the guys at the shop where i buy most of my parts, the seem to know theur stuff. Time to get crackin'. Only high 40's here on Long Island in NY, but in the marina where my slip is, you are allowed in starting 3/15, I went down on Friday and there's someone in already, so it won't be long now as the rebel used to say."

"[b]"A friend with the sam

""A friend with the same motor a few years older recommends changing out the mani's now while the elbows etc are off."

Ayuh,... You'd better Listen to your friend....

You Do understand that Catastrophic engine Failure is the next step don't you,..??
http://xs537.xs.to/xs537/09090/100_4115126.jpg"

Sorry,.. forgot how to post a picture here...
Anyways,...
I bought a set of the cheapie GLMs,...
The gasket surfaces at the riser joints were about .010 Low at the exhaust rim...
I had them machined Flat,+ grabbed a set of SSteel risers from a Bud, Cheap...
Click that link,+ you'll see...."

"Thanks everyone! Well, the w

"Thanks everyone! Well, the wife's car has a crack in a cylinder, so we are going to be parting it out.

Guy, taking care of the wife is #1 in my book. She has the F250 4X4 to drive, so not completely disabled! We had the little car for her for economy around town, so we'll just have to find another. Also, thanks for the email/link.

Bondo, being I can't afford SS for this job, what do you think about Sierra manifolds/risers? I've been pricing both the GLM's & Sierra.

I have a small leak on my Starboard side, that drips down directly on the starter/solenoid. After nearly 9-years with the original manifolds and risers, I have no idea what they look like on the inside, but I will post a pic in the next 2-weeks or so, once I get the new ones delivered, and the old ones disconnected."

Bondo:

I see the clear rein

Bondo:

I see the clear reinforced PVC water hoses; how long have you been using them? Any problems?

"Sounds like a plan Bondo. I&#

"Sounds like a plan Bondo. I'll bite the bullet and do it all, invest in the future. I'm going to change out the impeller in the outdrive too, got some sand in it a few times last year, they keep moving the bottom around on me.
I'll post photos as the job progresses, too. Make an interesting comparison, same motor, same general conditions, etc."

"[b]"Bondo:
I see the cl

""Bondo:
I see the clear reinforced PVC water hoses; how long have you been using them? Any problems?"

Nope,.... None... Did it last year with the risers..

I was Surprized at how Little water is in them sometimes....

I thought about cobbing in a piece of it into the In-coming line,..
But,.. it comes up on the Inside of the Belts to the T-Stat, making it a awkward spot to creatively re-engineer it...

The tubing collaspes onto it self pretty easily in the tight bends,...
I took a light coil spring of a slightly larger diameter,+ Pulled it down for a snug fit inside the tubing,+ that Cured the issue...

"Sounds like a plan"

Ayuh,... We'll be waiting to See Vinny...."

"OK, finally got to the boat w

"OK, finally got to the boat work! Remember, these are the original manifolds & elbows on my 2000 M/C 5.0.

They appeared to be about 50% blocked after 9 years. Replacing due to small drip that started the end of last summer on the starboard side.

In looking at the block, mainly the exhaust port(s) at the rear, what would you recommend to 'clean' this area? Sandpaper, emory, rotary disk used for paint removal?

Any thoughts appreciated!
251579.jpg
Starboard manifold and elbow"">
251580.jpg
Starboard Exhaust Ports

Back