Logo

Temp gauge question

mschwenz

Contributing Member
"Ran the boat for about 15 min

"Ran the boat for about 15 minutes on the river and temp gauge never moved, I have tested the gauge by touching the block and it peggs 200 so i think that works. Could this mean the engine is not getting water therefore the gauge doesnt read or could my gauge still be broken?"

"Sorry, learning day by day he

"Sorry, learning day by day here...So the thermostat being open would tell it the engine is cool so there would be no water coming in... Is there a way i can check to see if water is flowing through it"

"When the thermostat is closed

"When the thermostat is closed it holds cool water in the engine block. As the engine runs the water circulating pump recirculates it until the water temp rises to the temp setting of the thermostat. At that point the thermostat begins to open and allow some of the hot engine water out through it.

While the water in the block begins to increase in temp the temp sensor sends a signal to the gauge. Now, if the the thermostat wears out and sticks in the open position, the circulating water can not increase in temp so the gauge reads low beause only cold water runs through the block."

The T'stat controls engine

The T'stat controls engine temp. Replacing it will solve the gauge issue. The temp sending unit could be out of tolerance but unlikely. Remove the sender and clean the copper probe w/800 grit sand paper until it is bright and reinstall it.

Borrow a laser temp gun and take readings around the T'stat hsg. If it is working properly the gun will tell you the temp. You should try to put your hand on the hsg. If it is working then you won't be able to hold it on long.

Well I did take out the T'

Well I did take out the T'stat and tested it in a pot on the stove and to the best of my knowledge it opens and closes as it should around the temperature it should...Just cleaned up the sender unit and I am on my way to try and get a gasket...

Just to check out the gauge an

Just to check out the gauge and sending unit. take the sending unit out the one u cleaned up then hook it back to the plugin then take a bick lighter or something of the sort and light it and hold the flame to it the sending unit . not for to long though this will tell you if the sending and gauge are working in all reality the gauge should rise to some point u can also do this with hot hot water

"Went to pick up gasket and ju

"Went to pick up gasket and just splurged for the thermostat kit altogether, installed it, shined up the sender and everything seems to be working. Think it the tstat still probly worked fine it was just the sender was too dirty but thanks everyone for their help..."

"Mike:

You did the right th

"Mike:

You did the right thing by replacing the T'stat. Cleaning the years of crud buildup on the sender also makes a difference because the crud acts like insulation.

"to the best of my knowledge it opens and closes as it should"

Unless you put a string in the T'stat when it opened, let it cool to close and reheated it until it opened while it dangled in hot water and using a candy thermometer, you don't have the exact temp it opens. It may have been opening at 50F to 99F."

Back