Logo

Mystery Water in Bilge

captngoderich

"Hi,
Appreciate any thoughts,

"Hi,
Appreciate any thoughts, this liitle bit of water is a real mystery, driving me "around the bend"!!!!
I have a 1990 Searay 27' Sundancer. It is in mint shape with only 350 hrs. Twin 4.3 Mercruiser Alpha's.
While moored I get about a cup of water in the bilge every 4 or 5 days. I know it is not much, but should be the bilge should tay dry, I think?Over the past 3 or 4 years I have searched everywhere I can think of. Starting to think it might be the shift seal??? HOWEVER, no water leakage signs in the bellows or shift cable cavity??
A top notch Mercruiser dealer changed the boot, bellows, gimbal bearing, shift cable etc about 5 years, under 100 hours, ago.
Boat is in winter storage now but appreciate any ideas where to look again this spring before launch. I've pretty well ruled out the fresh water, hot water tank and holding tanks leaks. Doesn't change whether it's running or not. Happens on dry hot sunny days, not rain. Thought of condensation off the fuel tank, long shot, Like I say, kinda driving me NUTS!! Double checked around 2 thru hulls, don't think it's there. I usually leave dry paper towell around a suspect area, ie through hull, but so far still towell always dry, no leads.
Anyways, a rotten day in Port Glasgow ON, rain and more rain, so time to do some more head scatchin!
Thanks for any ideas"

"If the engines are RWC, are o

"If the engines are RWC, are one of the circulating pumps dripping out of the bottom weep hole?

Last month a man found his leak in a fresh water hose hidden underneath the tank. Drain and dry all the tanks to see if the leak stops."

Back