Logo

Stern Drive dragged on trailer

D

Deno

"1st boat, 2nd time out (2

"1st boat, 2nd time out (2001 Sea Ray w/ 3.0L Merc & Alpha Gen 2 stern drive). Got it on the trailer and pulled up the ramp with the stern drive dragging on the cement some (about 20 feet). Drive was partially up but not in 'trailer mode'. Doesn't seem to have done anything but grind some aluminum..do you gurus see a problem ?"

"Was there any fluid leaking??

"Was there any fluid leaking????

If not, next time you take it out re judge the steering and try to feel whether it shimmies now or not. I did something similar. They have whats called a skeg gaurd at westmarine.com that you can buy and install yourself in minutes to make it look/feel brand new."

"Deno, If you just dragged th

"Deno, If you just dragged the skeg on the cement, you are probably OK. If you wore off some of the metal on the "bullet", you may have a problem. You certainly need to look it over carefully and check it after the next use."

"Just be damn glad you didn&#3

"Just be damn glad you didn't do this LAUNCHING the boat. Then, by golly, you'd have torn something up.

Jeff"

I did this with my first boat

I did this with my first boat many boats/years ago. I was thinking i was a stud while the hot girls watching as i drove off the ramp with my great (read: new to me but old/crappy) boat. "check it out - the chicks are waiving." Quickly it became evident that they were pointing and laughing - not waiving. Think i trailered it and drove a way quickly.

Takes a lot of driving to grind down that skeg to oil. Can be repaired. Thanks for the memories!

I have a mid 70's inline m

I have a mid 70's inline mercruiser 4 cyl
Got tired of paying too much to store it in the boathouse.
where are the drain plugs for this sterndrive?
Thanks

Back