Logo

Mercruiser 50 Flooding issue

whaltiwanger

"Hello all, I have a 1987 Gala

"Hello all, I have a 1987 Galaxy 2100 Shooting Star cuddy, with a 1989?? Mercruiser 5.0 Alpha one engine/sterndrive.
Just over the last few months this engine has been hard to start, and smells of gas. When I back it off of the trailer, it starts fine. If I restart after a few minutes, the same, it starts fine. But after I run it for a while, and then it sits for a while,an hour or more, it is hard to start, I get a gas smell, and once it does start, smokes like its flooded. Other than that, the engine runs fine, uses no oil.. It has 275 hours on it. I have noticed some dampness around the carb.
Its got new plugs, distributor, fuel pump, and is serviced yearly, oil, filters, etc. Please help, happy and safe boating."

"I`d take a guess at the choke

"I`d take a guess at the choke needing resetting. Sounds like it comes on too hard when the motor isn`t totally cold. If it`s the older style expanding spring type, you will see the cap on the side has screws and the cap has little calibration marks.Loosen the screws and let the spring rotate the cap back a couple notches and try that. It may need more adjustment then that but just repeat until it starts better after sitting awhile. If it has an electric choke, you`ll need one of the more technical types on here to help.
blush.gif
"

"Thanks despy, this engine has

"Thanks despy, this engine has an electric choke. I have tried disconnecting it, and get the same symptoms. Thanks"

"Ayuh,...

Sounds like it&#3

"Ayuh,...

Sounds like it's due for a carb Rebuild, or possibly Replacement..."

"I have noticed some dampn

"I have noticed some dampness around the carb."
Indicates a fuel leak or floodng. Bondo has pointed you in the right direction for safe boating.

"Thanks all, I am looking into

"Thanks all, I am looking into a new carb. Has anyone had any experiences with the Sierra remanufactured carbs?? They are a lot cheaper than a genuine Mercruiser one. Also, do you have to do many ajdustments to get them to work properly?? Thanks!"

I have a 1989 Sunchaser with a

I have a 1989 Sunchaser with a Mercruiser 5.0 engine and i would like to know how to hook the water to it so i can get it running.

Thanks Guy I will go see if i

Thanks Guy I will go see if i can find one local first..Just got the boat so i want to try to get it running before i put it in the water..I might need more help later.. thanks again Bob

"Wesley, the Sierra Carbs I&#3

"Wesley, the Sierra Carbs I've used have followed updates that Mercruiser has done on some engines, I recommend them, and use one."

Robert:

Post again if you n

Robert:

Post again if you need more help. Include the boat engine type & year and OD type and model. No question asked is a dumb question; the question that you don't ask may cost you more money.

"I found a brand new Mercruser

"I found a brand new Mercruser carb on ebay for $375.00, which is a deal for what other dealers in my area quoted me for a new one. Put it on and after slight tweaking, I am back in business. Runs like a charm."

Back