Logo

Grey Oil

mschwenz

Contributing Member
"Trying to get my boat ready &

"Trying to get my boat ready (3.0L merc) and when i did the oil/filter change i noticed the oil was a smooth chocolate milk brown, after i changed it out took it out on the river and checked it a day later to find dark grey oil. From what i have been reading it could be a cracked block, manifold, etc but how would i go about testing for water in the oil. I got a clear cupful sitting right now of the stuff that just came out...."

Pull the spark plugs out; if t

Pull the spark plugs out; if there is water in the cylinders then it is most likely a cracked exhaust manifold.

No water in the cylinders is an indication of a cracked block. Is the oil level up on the dipstick higher than full?

i have been around moters most

i have been around moters most of my life and i dont think you need to get that tested to see if it is water. im 100 percent sure it is. now you may have a cracked water jacket on the block or my first guess would be you have a bad headgasket.

I read on another post regardi

I read on another post regarding a grey oil color that there was fuel in the oil. And I know the oil and water should deffinatly seperate but after 6 hours it's still a uniform color. Also boat has sat around for 2 years before now if that helps at all

"Water will stay emulsified wi

"Water will stay emulsified with the oil for 3 or 4 days, sometimes a week.

sounds like a cracked block.
"

"Smells a bit like gasoline to

"Smells a bit like gasoline to me too but i guess its Something you just don't want to accept, but I appreciate the help! Tommorow ill check some of this stuff out thanks"

"Put new Oil in used some marv

"Put new Oil in used some marvel mystery and some de gunking stuff and it's running very nice in the driveway as of now, oil that came out still looks the same dirty brownish color though(it was a more brownish color originally grey was sort of a bad description that i have been using) And the oil on the dipstick is not too high it's just right.
Oil still looks crappy though.."

It may take a few oil changes

It may take a few oil changes before you'll get that gunk mostly clearead up.before u change the oil again add a half quart of ATF to the oil and let idle for a bit dont run it hard though just idle that will help clean it out if yhere is no problem

Back