Logo

Steering

popo

"I have a 2000, 19" Doral

"I have a 2000, 19" Doral w/4.3 Mercruiser, w/power steering. It seems to wander more than my previous Mercruisers. There seems to be to much play in steering. I was going to change the Telflex rotary helm and cable. Any opinions? Do the rotary helms wear and loosen up?"

"Ayuh,...

You should Look,&

"Ayuh,...

You should Look,+ see where the slop is,...
If there is any...
Before you start throwing parts at it..."

"The helm and cable can loosen

"The helm and cable can loosen up over time and use. It could also be (hope not) excessive wear where the steering lever connects to the outdrive. That is an expensive fix. Stand on your head and watch the lever while someone gently pushes the drive left and right. You should be able to see if there is any slop in the lever to drive connection.

If you are talking about wander at idle, every boat does it to a certain extent - usually the deeper the V the more it wants to wander at slow speeds. It is not correctable."

"Henry, thanks for the "ge

"Henry, thanks for the "get back". I have checked the steering lever, there is no play. The cable responds well also. The only place I have any slope at all is the helm, and I would not replace that w/out also replacing the cable. This is my 3rd Mercruiser, but my 1st fiberglass. They all wander, I know, this just seems xcessive. Bondo, you must be a "GENIUS"....."

Anyone out there ever swap out

Anyone out there ever swap out a rotary helm because of to much play? If so did you see a difference?

"[b]"Bondo, you must be a

""Bondo, you must be a "GENIUS"....."

Ayuh,... I donno if that's a compliment, or a Slam....

If there's slop in the helm,..
Of course replacing it will get rid of that much of the slop....
The gears inside them will wear...."

"Bondo,it was a slam, it sound

"Bondo,it was a slam, it sounded to me that you assumed this was my first day. All in fun though. Thanks for the get back on the play issue, I agree w/you about the helm. I may experiment w/prop size. I now have a 18 pitch 4 blade which has proven to be to small. I also have a 19 3bld, a 21 3bld, and a 21 4bld. Both 21's are great props for top end. My 19 seems out of balance so I don't use it. I am going to buy a new 19 pitch and see what that does to the wandering issue. I was told last year by a Doral tech that I may have to much prop. At the time I ignored him, but he may have something there. What do you think?"

"Ayuh,...

In my experince,.

"Ayuh,...

In my experince,...
V-hull wander is pretty Normal,..
And,..
It's usually exasperated by Too Much operator Imput...

My boat, if left alone will eventually come back...
Small steering inputs,+ Not over-steering is what I do...
Trim tabs can also be a big plus on some hulls..."

Back