Logo

OMC 235hp wonbt start

jt1976

"This boat was in storage for

"This boat was in storage for 2 years. By the model number it looks to be a 1976 OMC 235. I've replaced the starter and the starter solnoid. Whenever I try to crank it over the solnoid just buzzes. Anyone know what could be causing that problem, or what else I should replace. Also, is the starter relay the same as a solnoid, because I've read that humidity will kill your relay. Thanks"

You can try bypassing the sole

You can try bypassing the solenoid but if you've just replaced it? Check all connections from battery to solenoid and engine block for corrosion and tightness.

"Yeah, we've tried checkin

"Yeah, we've tried checking for corrosion, even removed the wires from there mounts and cleaning them up. Do you know what the difference is (if any) between a starter relay and the solenoind? I'm not very knowlegdable in the whole marine engine thing so bare with me, but LOL. There is this white block that looks like plaster or ceramic, with 2 electrical connections running through it. The ceramic is a little eroded and cracking in a few spots, would that have anything to do with the starting of the engine?"

".."The ceramic is a littl

".."The ceramic is a little eroded and cracking in a few spots, would that have anything to do with the starting of the engine?"

That sounds like a ballast resistor (that lowers the RUNNING voltage to the coil to about 9 volts. The coil gets 12 volts during cranking via a circuit on the starter solenoid.)

Jump around hte solenoid with a heavy wire and see if the starter runs. If so, check out the solenoid connecions.

Jeff"

Back