Logo

IO 188hp mercruiser wont start

riger

"i just recently aquired a 197

"i just recently aquired a 1977 sea ray w/ a 188 hp i/o mercruiser which i believe its a ford engine in it well i tryed to move the crankshaft and i believe the engine is ceased because it wouldnt budge, but someone meantioned to me about a complete engine rebuild kit for around $300 he said , first i didnt know if that price was close to what he said and second is there any company that you guys recommend"

"Ayuh,...

1st thing to do i

"Ayuh,...

1st thing to do is,.. Pull the Drive...
Then you'll know whether you're dealing with a Bad Motor, or Bad Drive....

Did you pull the sparkplugs,+ try to roll it over by hand,..??

Btw,...
I doubt $300. will buy enough parts to rebuild your 302 Ford..."

"Well

i tryed taking out t

"Well

i tryed taking out the spark plugs and the first one broke in half with the other half inside and it seems like the other ones are very stuck , also like i said though we tryed turning the crank but it wouldnt budge , but does anyone even know were i could go to find out complete rebuild kit prices"

"Ayuh,... Google is your Frien

"Ayuh,... Google is your Friend,... Use it...

I hear tell that Rual at Rapido has good prices,+ does quality work..."

"The long block on that engine

"The long block on that engine is basic Ford 302. If you are going to do a rebuild you would be better off picking up a used engine and rebuilding it. Important parts to save from your old engine, timing cover (cast iron marine only) front balancer with 3 bolt pulley (cars have 4 bolt pulley after 1970). Your engine could have bad manifolds, more realistic price to rebuild could hit $2000 after you buy manifolds etc.
Also Ford kept changing 302. Crankshaft balance changed after 1980, requires different flywheel and front balancer. Engines with large 13/16 hex spark plugs had different water passages between block and heads and heads to intake than engines with 5/8 hex spark plugs. Big plugs 76 back small spark plugs 77 up. Your 77 boat could have 76 or 77 engine."

Back