Logo

Questions about Stainless Risers

jtoma878

Contributing Member
"I have decided to use stainle

"I have decided to use stainless risers with my re-power project. I am going to run a closed FWC setup, cooling manifolds as well. Some members here have suggested SS risers. I was able to pick up a new set at a very reasonable price.

My questions are, are there any downsides to using SS opposed to cast iron? If they are so much better, how come Mercruiser stopped making them? Is there any reason what so ever I would want to use cast over SS?

All input is appreciated."

"John-

Agreed, that's t

"John-

Agreed, that's the way to go, but unfortunately I don't have an extra $2k sitting around. Besides, I already have all the pieces in place. Maybe in 2 or 3 years I'll go completely stainless.

Thanks for the input!"

"I run SS risers with freshwat

"I run SS risers with freshwater cooling system. Tear down after 4 and half years in saltwater and they look like new. I think they quite making them because of the cost. Only worthwhile if running full FWC. One thing I noticed, there is no drain in the riser. They can trap water from the water inlet down when used with block off plates for FWC. To winterize you need to pour antifreeze in through water inlet hose. I live in Florida and just leave a light bulb burning in engine compartment when temp dips into 20s overnight."

"Are the rates of expansion th

"Are the rates of expansion the same for SS and cast iron? SS risers on cast iron manifolds, different rate of expansion = leaking interface = damaged engine."

Back