Logo

Motor Running Problem HELP ME PLEASE

pferreira

"Hi Everyone,

I took the bo

"Hi Everyone,

I took the boat out to the lake today to give it run but was disappointed…

First of all let me tell you what I have:

1989 Sea Ray 200
Mercruiser (GM) 4.3 V6
Alpha One Outdrive

Boat has been seating for about a year.

I noticed there was some gas in there, but not much, less than a quarter of tank, so I toped it up with new gas.

Took it to the lake and tried to get it going but it starts and only runs for a few seconds.

After it turns off I pumped the gas 2x and it starts right up and runs for another few seconds… maybe 20 to 30 seconds and shut down.

It does run smooth for as long as it’s running.

I also noticed that if I keep on pumping the accelerator the motor does stay on and run as long as I keep pumping it. Not well but stays on.

I checked the gas line and there is a lot of gas coming up to the carburetor, but I did notice the filter was very dirty.

My first thoughts are that because the boat was sitting for 2 years, the rubber pieces on the carburetor must be bad and the carburetor must be dirty… so I took it home and removed the carburetor for inspection and find it to be cleaner than expected! The jets don’t even look dirty!

I turned the motor and there is a lot of gas coming out of the steel tube that connects to the carburetor. Therefore, I don’t think it would be a gas pump problem.

It seems to be a carburetor problem. Could it be the carburetor just needs to be rebuilt?

Or do you think something else is going on?

Thank you all in advance for your help.

Peter"

"Could it be the carbureto

"Could it be the carburetor just needs to be rebuilt?"

Idle circuits are plugged w/dirt and varnish.

Rebuild it and make sure you get the 1/4" thick base gasket if it's a Mercarb w/a single mixture screw.

Change the fuel pump filter.

"[b]" Could it be the carb

"" Could it be the carburetor just needs to be rebuilt? "

Ayuh,... Rebuilt or Replaced....

The Idle Circuit is Plugged....
You were keeping running with the accelerator pump..."

"OK,

I'm going to rebui

"OK,

I'm going to rebuilt the carb... but where is the Idle Circuit? In the carb?

My carb only has 1 mixture screw.

I can't find a name on the carb., I'm assuming it's a mercruiser mercarb.

I can see only numbers on it:

The above numbers are printed on the carb. body and there is also a green little tab with this numbers:

4.3L
3304-9565

Thank's for your continued help!"

3304-9565 is the mfg's. mo

3304-9565 is the mfg's. model/part no. Use it to get the correct rebuild kit and thick base gasket. The idle circuits are in the carb body. Order a new float w/the kit. The base gasket is very important for fuel atomization on the mercarb. Impoertant; place the green tag on the replacement carb for future reference.

I noticed that the engine is a 1989. My preference would be to replace that age of carb w/an updated one piece bowl/base carb if it has not already been done. That old of carb probably has worn throttle and choke bushings that can be problematic.

Insert the green tag numbers in the "engine parts" search above to get a reman. carb or buy it where you desire.

3310-807764A1 is the part no.

3310-807764A1 is the part no. for 1989 2 BBL

27-8079821 is the part no. for the base gasket

"Hello everyone,

Well… the

"Hello everyone,

Well… the carburetor is rebuilt and on the boat! It was running better but still shutting off…

So I looked at the fuel pump and looked ok, but I expected it to be more saturated with fuel when I opened it… I also noticed there was no filter in the pump!

Next, some weird instinct told me to bypass the water/fuel-filter separator and to my surprise the boat runs fine and smooth when I bypassed the separator by connecting the tank line directly to the fuel pump! No shut offs, just fine!

Obviously there is something wrong with the Separator… My old boat didn’t even have one! Do I really need it?"

"[b]"Do I really need it?&

""Do I really need it?"

Ayuh,...

Unless you'd rather fill the fuel pump,+ carb with Water,+ other Crap,...
Yes you Need 1....

Did you change that filter,..??"

"Hello,

This boat is drivin

"Hello,

This boat is driving me crazy!

Yesterday, after rebuilding the carb. and bypassing the separator the boat ran fine for the longest time, accelerated up fine… no problem!

Today I installed a new separator and now it’s doing the same thing… runs for a few seconds and turns off. I bypassed the separator again to see what happened, but still doing the same thing….

I drained some gas but it doesn’t seem to have water in there… So I ordered a new fuel pump from Napa and I am hopping that’s all it is!!

Bad fuel pump? What else could it be?

It ran fine yesterday so I don’t think it would be the carb. after all it was just rebuilt… maybe a faulty fuel pump?

That’s the news here from Connecticut from this frustrated musician who wishes he had the money to just hire a professional!!!!!

Warm regards,
Peter"

"Ayuh,...

When it Quit,...

"Ayuh,...

When it Quit,... Was there gas in the carb,..??
If not,.. It probably is the fuelpump...
If So,... I think it's still the carb..."

"Hi Bondo...

When it quits,

"Hi Bondo...

When it quits, I have to pump the gas at least once to make it start again. Then it runs for a few seconds and quits. It does seem to be "starving' for gas."

"Ayuh,..

You need to pull t

"Ayuh,..

You need to pull the cable off the carb, take the flame arrester off the carb,+ actuate the throttle...
There should be solid streams of Gas shooting out of the Acc. pump...

As it's Running,... You should see gas fogging down the throat of the carb...

If it's Not,... Then it Might be the fuelpump....

I just reread this whole thread,...
I think you're right back to a Plugged Idle Circuit.....
Who rebuilt the Carb,..??
If You,..
Did you Soak the casting,..??
Did you blow out with compressed air, ALL of the internal passages,..??

It almost sounds like you loaded it back up with Crap, before you found the Funky fuel filter...."

I'll be installing a new p

I'll be installing a new pump tomorrow to see what happens...

I did rebuilt the carb. and soaked it also...

I'll let you know tomorrow after the fuel pump is replaced!

Peter

Hello everyone...

I &#3

Hello everyone...

I "think" I got great news here from cold connecticut!

After spending a "few" $$$ on my boat I think it's now ready for a test ride once the weather clears!

I won't mention how much I spent in case my dear wife reads this post and will proceed to cut my pin-pongs off!

But here is what I have donne:

1- Re-built the carburetor & installed a new choke unit on it.

2- Replaced the old water/fuel seperator with a new one from mercury

3- Installed a new fuel pump

4- new gas lines and filters

5- new gas

6- new motor oil and filter

7- new steering oil

I have also istalled new carpet and re-did the cuddy last month and replaced and/or updated some of the electrical wiring and old fuses with the new kind.

I had the motor running for about 15/20 minutes and it was running good and smooth. Temperature went up to and stayed at 145. I turned it off to let it cool dow and see if it would start again and it did start right up and stayed running!

I flushed the water from the motor and re-winterized it with anti F. to wait until the weekend and maybe take it out on the water and test it again...

Thank you all for your continued help! You've been great!!!

Peter

"Ayuh,... That is Great News

"Ayuh,... That is Great News Pete,.... Bravo...

Just alittle FYI,....
Instead of wasting the antifreeze,...
Just Drain the boat...
There's 4 drain plugs on your motor,... Drain them...
Pull the Big Hose off the motor's circulating pump,...
Drain the P/Steering Cooler if so equiped...
Lower the outdrive...
It'll be Just Fine, til your ready to run again...
Air just doesn't Freeze.."

"Hi Bondo,

I did remove the

"Hi Bondo,

I did remove the plugs... there are 5 in my motor. 2 plugs on each side and one under.

But I thought that even when you remove does plugs you should still add anti-F because there is some water that stays back!

But I to always wondered... even if there is a little bit of water and it freezes/expands it would expand out to the air spaces!

I also lowered the outdrive to also release pressure from the bellows.

Peter"

Back