Logo

High Profile Stringer drive water pump replacment

todd_b

"Hi there another newbie here

"Hi there another newbie here I thought I read here somewere that you could replace the water pump by dropping the lower unit off the top at one point. But I've sense came across a thread saying you have to remove the whole drive. I guess thats all well and good if I have to. Thats what the manuel tells me but I wonder if theres some short cuts. And would you always rebuild the lower pick up housing thinga majig or just start with the impeller. Thanks guys I've sure been glad to find this board, learned a lot already.
thumbs_up.gif
oh ya and how crusal is it to replace worn ball gears can I put it off for awhile if theres enough meet to hold up for now? Thanks again! T"

Hi Todd

I am sure you can c

Hi Todd

I am sure you can change the water pump with out taking the whole drive off I did. I have a 1985 3.0 OMC. As for the ball gears Thats your call We can't see how bad they are you can.

Frank

Frank
I have been mulling ove

Frank
I have been mulling over the same question about changing the water pump in my 1970 Johnson Seasport wth the 155 hp V-6.
Is it because I have the electric shift that would prevent me from dropping the lower unit without pulling the whole outdrive?
Thanks
Ted

"can do it on the boat, but yo

"can do it on the boat, but you'll just kinda be working upside down. no biggie though. I might try it that way next time. Don't want to stress my shift cable any more than I have to."

"If you put the drive about at

"If you put the drive about at 45 deg. You will not stress the cable. And it is fun working upside down.
crazy.gif
"

"HY & Frank,
I am new to

"HY & Frank,
I am new to this so bear with me please.
Is the shift cable you are refering to the same as the two electric shift wires for F/R that go thru the transom and into the outdrive?

Thanks
Ted"

"Not sure, but this looks like

"Not sure, but this looks like a Hijacked thread. Where is Todd Brooks in this outside of the original question?
uhoh.gif
"

What Hy was saying is for manu

What Hy was saying is for manual shift It is a thick cable that cost around $200.00 and will not take to much twisting. You should be fine with your electric shift. Make sure you check the water pump housing for small cracks. Best thing woud be just get the whole kit.

Frank

Hey guys at work all day so ju

Hey guys at work all day so just able to check in. Mine is electric shift to so I think I'm reading that I can do it the way I was hoping to. Frank the whole kit is what? The seals for the lower pick up unit? or just the housing and impeller with their seals? Thanks!!!!!! Todd B

Just the housing impeller and

Just the housing impeller and seals. and when you put it together make sure you put sealent around the housing and the plate.

Frank

"Hey I just got a chance to op

"Hey I just got a chance to open it up today. It was a breeze by just dropping the lower unit off the upper unit. Someone before me put the impeller housing on ass backwards. Looks like I won't even have to replace the impeller. Just flip things around, replace the key way, grease impeller, reseal and put back together. I'll be fishing next weekend.
sun.gif
"

"Ok so maybe I was a little op

"Ok so maybe I was a little optimistic, Started putting things back together today and realized I don't have a "split seal" on the top of the impeller shaft. It was just an O-ring. The manuel says to "Use 3M EC1300 as an adhesive and install a new split seal onto the drive shaft." What is that telling me is the adhesive to stick the split seal on? And can I buy just that seal some were and or how important is that seal, I'm sure thats a dumb question. And what about the o-ring in the bottom of the shaft anyone know the size. Thanks in advance. Todd"

When I put Mine back together

When I put Mine back together there was two seals one o ring and a seal notched to fit over the spline on the shaft. I did not put sealer on them But I did put it around the were plate and the pump housing.

I hope this helps

Frank

"that seal is important. I don

"that seal is important. I don't know those terms. There is an oring as Frank says and a "cog" seal, that fits the spline and keeps the grease from washing out of the spline.
The retainer clip ring for the cog seal is important too.
I don't glue them either."

Back