Logo

Two issues Power steering leak and water in the bilge

seidh

"I have a Merc 7.4L MPI (1

"I have a Merc 7.4L MPI (1999 I believe)in my boat (1994) I purchased two months ago. Rough water cooled. After having it bottom painted, cleaned etc. I put it in the slip a few days ago.
A day after I noticed water in the bilge (approx. 2 inch). I pumped it all out and checked next day - all the same, another two inches of water.
I tried to find the leak, to feel hoses, seawater pump, manifolds, everything looks dry.
Since there are no other thru hulls, it has to be transom/outdrive. Before I put the boat in the water, I checked visualy belows and they looked good. What do you think? Both engine and outdrive work well, no problems.
Another issue I have is a leak in power steering.
I added some ATF in the PS pump and when I turned on the engine, I noticed some fresh ATF in the bilge. Again, tried to find the leak, checked pump, hoses, fittings at the pump and the cooler, fittings at the control valve, everything looks dry. The level in the pump is low (below min), but steering works. Any ideas?
I read this forum a lot, this is my first post.
Thanks,
Seid"

"Put the boat on the trailer.

"Put the boat on the trailer. Tilt the boat up. Fill the boat to cover your thru-hulls. Now be reasonable don't use this method to test higher in the hull holes.
If you just got this boat, might have piece of mind just resealing all thru-hulls and replacing the hoses.
Back up bilge pumps are cheap insurance."

"Ayuh,... Unfortunately,.. Th

"Ayuh,... Unfortunately,.. There Ain't no Easy button for finding Leaks...

Grab your flashlight,+ start Lookin',.. Harder..."

"If the engine is dry, take a

"If the engine is dry, take a blue or brown paper towel (not white) and touch each block and manifold drain to see if there is a drop of water. If you find a drop of water, remove the drain cock and drain it; water should stream out or you need to probe the hole w/a peice of wire to loosen the rust.

Inspect the cock for cracks and damage; replace if it appears damaged. When replacing it tighten with your fingers and not a wrench. If it still leaks then the cock's seat has been damaged; replace the cock and seat. Or do like the last idiot did and tighten it w/a wrench and hope it does not break."

PS leak can be found the same

PS leak can be found the same way w/a white paper towel. First dry all the fittings and fill the reservior to specs. Run the engine for 5 mins. and shut it off. Wipe all the fittings to find the fluid leak. Can't find it? Check the PS cooler for damage.

"Thanks, guys.
I'll try t

"Thanks, guys.
I'll try to find the leaks as you adviced.
The only things that worries me is if the water leak is thru transom assembly. If that's the case, do you know what would be the most probable cause? Water hose fitting? belows?
Thanks,
Seid"

"Ayuh,...

Most likely is t

"Ayuh,...

Most likely is the Bellows,.. But it could be Anything..."

After so many years it is reco

After so many years it is recommended to remove and reseal all thru-hulls. Anybody know what their saying these days?

"Some businesses are telling p

"Some businesses are telling people "You need a reseal!" for every time they GLANCE at an old OD. Maybe they're right! Other businesses are saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I'm a firm believer in Preventive Maintenance other than Scheduled. My OD is 21 years old and still works. I would like to tear it completely down and replace all worn hard parts and seals but don't have the tools or experience.

A West Virginia shop told me not to bother as long as it works and doesn't have water in the oil. I told him what I wanted to do and he said he charged 4 hours labor @ $40/hour for a teardown and reassembly plus hard parts, impeller kit and a seal kit.

BONDO, Rick Sweeten et al......What do you think?"

"I think I found the water lea

"I think I found the water leak. After harder looking, color paper tricks, bloody knuckles, etc. It looks like it was a hose coming out from the utility (bait tanks, washdown) pump. That thing is so unaccessible and on the bottom of the bilge. I closed seacock today and will wait till tomorrow to be sure.
I'm realy happy it wasn't the transom/outdrive.
Didn't have chance to attack the PS leak yet.
Thank you guys for your helpful advices.
Seid"

"[b]"A West Virginia shop

""A West Virginia shop told me not to bother as long as it works and doesn't have water in the oil. I told him what I wanted to do and he said he charged 4 hours labor @ $40/hour for a teardown and reassembly plus hard parts, impeller kit and a seal kit. "

Ayuh,...

I've got a Guy up on the river that charges me $150. and I bring the fresh Parts...
1 time he charged me $200. because it was an old Saltwater drive I picked up...

I send them up to him Anytime I find Water...
I'd rather waste money on Seals,+ his time on my dime than Trash a perfectly good drive...
Dave always sets them up Right,+ is pretty picky about what he'll let me run, or replace...

I'm dragging the barge up there soon for a transom reseal,...
It's been 10 years,+ I feel I'm on borrowed time for the bellows,...
Especially now that I've been docking for the last 3 years...

"I'm a firm believer in Preventive Maintenance"

Ayuh,... That I Agree with,.. 1000%...."

Not to get off topic here but

Not to get off topic here but you guys got it lucky!!!

Shop time around Seattle starts at $80 and goes up to $120 when they have to come to you. It would be worth it for me to send my OD via UPS to your part of the country. I could still save money!

"I found a faulty hose and rep

"I found a faulty hose and replaced it a few days ago with a new one, so I thought it fixed the ATF leak.
Yesterday, I noticed that ATF is squirting out from my steering pump. It emptied it in about 15 min (just to get back to the dock).
Do I have to replace the pump ($500+) or are there any seals/gaskets or anything that can be fixed?
I wonder if there is an interchangable auto part(pump), too.
Thanks,"

"From where? Loose or leaking

"From where? Loose or leaking high or low side hose?

PUMP-POWER STEERING part no. MER16792A39 Pump DOES NOT come with pulley. Napa may carry the pump. Take your pump with you so they can swap over the pulley.

All components are listed below. You might want to change the high & low pressure hoses as a precaution. Flush the steering ram befor installing the new pump.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_Pictures3.asp?dnbr=809994%2098&ivar=images/C RUISER/809994.98/23.png&inbr=2705&bnbr=250&bdesc=POWER+STEERING+COMPONENTS"

"Thanks Guy,
it looks like it

"Thanks Guy,
it looks like it's coming from somewhere between the face of the pump and the pulley.
Hose fittings look OK.
I'll check it one more time tomorrow and take it off, and to NAPA.
How do you flush the ram?"

Install the new pump and high

Install the new pump and high pressure line and fill the reservior w/fresh fluid. Leave the low pressure return line off (the line that uses a screw clamp) and insert it into a gallon jug. Plug the pump nipple where the return line attaches. Disconnect the coil and crank the engine a few seconds until the reservior is almost empty; stop and refill the reservior and repeat until clean fluid runs out of the return line. Reattach the line and top off to the proper level.

"I found a pump (AutoZone,

"I found a pump (AutoZone, $59), reinstalled the pulley from the old one, installed the pump (used a few washers to align it), flushed the ram - like Guy said, added ATF and - it works!(Mercruiser pump is $518). Huge saving.
Thanks,"

Back