Logo

2003 volvo part

jmac651

"The boat yard called and said

"The boat yard called and said I had a copper tube in the back of the engine that split and needed replacement, They called it a cooling tube? Then they told me in order to repair the tube the would have to remove the transmission to get to the tube. I have been through the engine manuals, maybe I missed it, but I can't find the part or part number there talking about. And what would a repair with all those steps usually cost?

Thanks, Any info much appreciated"

"I have a Volvo Penta 2003 Tur

"I have a Volvo Penta 2003 Turbo model with cooling tubes that run all over it (about 8 of them as I recall).

They are tricky to get to, and depending on your boat (mine is a 1991 Beneteau 390 sailboat that has a fairly small transmission), its a matter of accessing the retaining bolt to remove the holding clip, then the tube slides out. I just removed all of my tubes last weekend as they seals were suspect on a few of the tubes (wanted to clean up the exchange cooler, too).

Now, I'm not sure what kind of physical access there is on your boat (pretty cramped quarters on my sailboat), but I was able to remove all tubes without having to do anything serious like pulling out the transmission. Tooks some extension bars on my wratech for the one in the back by the trans, but was able to do it wihtout a huge effort. Again, it really depends on the access to get to the tubes.

The attached diagram is my boat engine showing the coolant tubes. You can see the transmission is fairly small and the coolant tubes are fairly accessible depending on what is surrounding your engine (mine are walls to the next compartment).<center><table border=1><tr><td>http://www.marineengine.com/discus/icons/mime_pdf.gif""" align=left alt=""application/pdf"">Volvo Penta 2003 cooling system diagram
[url=""][b]Cooling diagram 10142.pdf[/b][/url] (22.0 k)</td></tr></table></center>"

There is an oil cooler inside

There is an oil cooler inside gear. It is a copper tube around output gear inside. Gear may not have to come off but reduction gear/ output flange assy would have to be removed from trans for repair.

Back