Logo

471 GM

warrenr

Hi
my 471 marine motor is le

Hi
my 471 marine motor is leaking black oil when under load into the pan. I cant see where its coming from possibly the small breather just above the oil pan - where should I check and why would it leak out of the breather

Warren
What migh happen there

Warren
What migh happen there it is that you have to much pressure in the engine you need to buy at valve cover that have a breather you can call at 305-545-5588 they be able to help you with that

"There is a stainless pan unde

"There is a stainless pan under the motor which we emptied, then after a run with the motor up to 1600 revs for an hour the pan had lots of black oil in it and the motor needed a similar amount
a litre or so
Thanks
Warren"

"look for 1/4 tube on lower si

"look for 1/4 tube on lower side of engine,comeing out of the block. run engine, should have air blowing out check if lots of oil also comeing out."

I gather thats the tube pointi

I gather thats the tube pointing downward just above the sump on the left hand side at the back of the motor -looking forward. I think thats the tube leaking oil
will check to see if air is coming out as well
Thanks for your help

Black carbon oil blowing from

Black carbon oil blowing from the air box drain tube is a sign of worn cylinder kits. It may be time for an inframe overhaul!

Is the air box with the breath

Is the air box with the breather a seperate chamber on its own or is it part of the crankcase?

"Just to add to what Ronald sa

"Just to add to what Ronald said:

Bad blower seals could also cause oil to blow out of the air box tubes. So if your cylinder kits check out, I'd look at the blower."

"I have a detroit diesel crush

"I have a detroit diesel crusher on the engine the air breather is blowing out and muffler is sucking air in so, what could the problem be"

"Anthony, have you just replac

"Anthony, have you just replaced your starter? Could have a starter with the wrong rotation, which is turning your engine backwards."

Back