Logo

1988 Searay steering

brentjmorgan

Hello I'm new to this boar

Hello I'm new to this board and to boating.I just bought a 1988 searay 18" open bow. It has a 3.0 lt motor. The steering is really tight i was wondering if anyone know what may cause this?

No power steering? Lack of lu

No power steering? Lack of lube on the pivot pins and steering linkages?

Does this make and model have

Does this make and model have power streering? I dont know much about this boat yet. I will check to make sure everything is lubed. Is there anything else I should check for?

"It is more than likely a bad

"It is more than likely a bad steering cable from the wheel to the outdrive.You could disconnect the linkage at the outdrive and try turning the outdrive by hand,it should move side to side fairly easy.If it does than it almost has to be the cable and from my experience it's better to install a new one than trying to work on the old one(like trying to lube it).However,if the outdrive does not move easily you could have dry or bad bearings in the gimble swivel shafts."

"Use PB Blaster on pivot point

"Use PB Blaster on pivot points w/o zerk grease fittings, esp. if you see rust stains."

I bet he's got a cable iss

I bet he's got a cable issue. I've saved em by pumping pressurized lube up through the housing. Not an easy project.

Back