Logo

Oil for 1990 stingray with a 50V8

jeremy27

Regular Contributor
"hey I have a 1990 stingray wi

"hey I have a 1990 stingray with a 5.0V8,I want to change the oil but don't know what to use I have been told to use 10w-30,straight 30w,and quicksilver 4-cycle 25w-40,I live in GA if that helps,And Can someone tell me a good batt. switch I have 2-1000cca batt,they are the same ones.I have a sub woofer and a 1000watt amp.Thanks"

"[i]straight 30w,and quicksilv

"straight 30w,and quicksilver 4-cycle 25w-40

either of those are fine

but not 10w-30"

"my personal fave for battery

"my personal fave for battery switching is two of these. I bought them for $30 each. I leave the deep cycle remote on the dash and the starting remote stays on my keychain.
If batt Voltage drops below 11.5 for 5 mins, it switches off automatically. There's a bypass terminal for radio memory too.

http://www.batteryguard.net/nautilus.htm"

"can you still hook the batt.

"can you still hook the batt. in parallel so they can run togehter,or do you have to hook them up on two separate things.(like one to the motor and lights,and the other to the radio and sub woofer and amp)"

"You can hook them in parallel

"You can hook them in parallel w/an isolator; switch not needed. Or, use a switch to select a battery; #1, #2 or both."

"Because I converted my altern

"Because I converted my alternator to self exciting, I can't use an isolator. But that's the easy way if one has external excitation circuit.

But yes, with the remote switch I simply turn both remotes on, and batteries are in parallel.
Oh, and about the bypass terminal for radio memory etc, that's where you wire the bilge pump so you can hit the remote wherever you moor your boat and it has remote entry for security, but your bilge pump still has pwr."

"Is that better than a perko s

"Is that better than a perko switch,I have a stock alternator,the only thing I have done is add a better radio and a sub woofer with a 1000watt amp.which is better and not so hard to work or install,my wife drives the boat sometimes and it is hard to explain how to work stuff like that to a women."

"I know better than to have an

"I know better than to have an opinion on that.

p.s. at 12V, a 1000 watt amp would pull 83A of current. Your stock alternator is probably 55A. That means you will pop the breaker or deplete the batteries or both.
But, in my experience, most amps advertised as 1000W are really about 100W. But the true sub thumper systems need large power capacitors to avoid breaker popping and wires starting on fire.
A clamp on ammeter is the only way to know if an alternator can keep up to the loads."

"I put the sub woofer and amp

"I put the sub woofer and amp in last summer,and so far have had no problem,the amps peak power is 1000watts and it is a 12" sub.I just wanted to add a second batt. so I'm not stuck on the lake with a dead batt.what size alternator do you think would be good.I only turned the stereo on a few times I thought the batt would die,never left it on long,is that why it never poped the breaker.what do you sugggest I do,I don't want to start any fires.

How would I check the amp out put of the alternator."

"I wouldn't worry about it

"I wouldn't worry about it if it didn't pop the breaker and if the power wire doesn't get excessively hot.. "peak" probably means if you had it cranked to 10 and distorting like mad, just at the point of circuit board melt down, for a split second you could measure 1000W consumption.

5 watts of clean amplifier power is actually very loud.
1000W is just gimicky advertising."

"Hy Stat:

From my electroni

"Hy Stat:

From my electronic repair days almost 2 score ago, I remember the wattage output on amps was over stated for sales. If you read the fine print on the amp, it probably says 1,000 watts RMS peak to peak. Which I think means a -500 to +500 watt sine wave max output. In reality it probably has a continuous output somewhere around 250 to 500 watts max. Since the amp is probably one or two self contained chips per channel, it will fry itself if run at max output after a few hours use.

They are just not made to take the heat stress that the high wattage amps made in 1970 that were the state of the art of the time. I still have mine, repaired it once 20 years ago by replacing 2 driver transistors. It has 4 half dollar size power output transistors mounted on a heat sink that put out 50 watts per channel continuous music. I used to run it at half power and the volume from the 15" bass woofers would bounce of your chest at 10'. Now it just plays quietly just for me.
proud.gif
"

"yea I think mine is only push

"yea I think mine is only pushing 500watts I don't have it turned up much,And I got the wires from the amp ran straight to the batt. and on a toggle switch so I can cut it off when I'm tried of the bass,both my +/- are straight to the batt. and not to the breaker or fuses to the boat.

"GUY":seeing that in your good days you did this, does the way I have mine wired good,The negative and the positive are both ran straight from the amp to the batt.and the remote wire is ran to a toggle switch to kill power if I have to,the RCA wires are to the radio,I was thinking of a perko switch so I can switch from the batt. used to start the boat and when I stop and drop anchor I can turn it to the batt. for the amp,I just want to be able to charge the batts.with the alternator.

p.s I know what you mean my older brother has a amp that he has had for years and it pushes just what it says.The old amps are hard to find but if you can get one keep it they will work forever."

"You should have a fuse in the

"You should have a fuse in the + wire close to the battery Jeremy.

Yeah Guy, they take p-p voltage and multiply it by p-p current. Makes a purely fictional spec. X2

I had a 3 watt per channel stereo guitar amp years ago- a John McIntyre Bluesmaker. I ran it through two 8"AlNiCo's in a Sears cabinet... very efficient speakers.
Kept up with the loudest of drummers. No one could believe it was only a 3+3W amp. Like a fool I traded it for an amp half as versatile and ten times as heavy..."

"I got one right next to the b

"I got one right next to the battery on the wire that goes to the amp,I would have to look if there is one that goes to the starter.

I think the one that goes to the amp is a 30amp fuse,and their are 2 on the side of the amp don't know what size they are would have to look."

"generally, there is no fuse t

"generally, there is no fuse to the starter on a boat. Starter is designed to pull very high current - and that's why the cables are as big as they are. Starter is almost a dead short.

30A fuse on the amplifier sounds good - safe

Here's a pic for one method of wiring a simple Guest 2 battery switch with bilge pump and float sw to one battery directly
249733.jpg
"

"Jeremy:

Hy Stat has you co

"Jeremy:

Hy Stat has you covered on the wiring. The fuse is a must w/in 6" of the battery. In leiu of a fuse, you can use a thermal breaker that attaches to the battery and then feed the amp from it. The bilge pump needs an in-line fuse sized for the pump or a breaker at the battery."

"I will look at the bilge to s

"I will look at the bilge to see,should it have came with one or maybe connected to the breaker I have never mess with the wires to it,just add a bigger bilge with more gph,do I need a breaker for the amp or I'm I safe with the 3fuse that are on it now.

If I get a perko switch and hook it up just like that picture when I switvh it to the second battery will the radio still stay on,and will the alternator still charge them up,I don't mean at the same time I was thinking of switching batterys,chargeing one on the way to a spot and chargeing the other on the way back,unless I can do them at the same time.I was just told that it would be bad if I did that."

The battery you have switched

The battery you have switched on will charge from the alt. The bilge switch is connected to a breaker for a manually controlled pump. If you add an auto float switch to pump then it needs a fuse when connected to a battery.

"will it hurt anything if I ha

"will it hurt anything if I have the switch turn to both,were both batt.1 and batt.2 are on at the same time.and if I have my amp and my radio on two different batt will they both work if I have the switch on just one batt.

The man I got the boat from put the auto float before I got it,so I would thing he put one on it but I will look.He had it at the same dock as his house boat and you had to have a auto float if you were leaving it in the water."

"so let me get this right,

"so let me get this right,

Its ok to leave the switch on both batt. without hurting anything,even while the boat is running.

and my radio will be on at the same time as my AMP no matter what batt they are hook to and whatever batt. the switch is on.

so if the radio is on batt.1 and the amp is on batt.2 they both will be on if the switch is turned to batt.1

Sorry for all the questions just making sure I have all this hooked up right without frying anything."

yes; both batteries are poweri

yes; both batteries are powering then
no; not if all power goes thru the switch
no; not if all power goes thru the switch

I suggest you power the radio and amp from a deep cycle battery #2 and keep #1 as the engine start battery.

"sounds good.

I have two du

"sounds good.

I have two duralast 12v 1000cca marine batterys witch I was told were good.

can you help me with what kind of perko battery switch to get,I found one that is for use with systems under 50 volts,rated at 250amps continuous and 360amps intermittent,would that work good with what I have."

"do you think that switch woul

"do you think that switch would work find without a isolator.

Thanks for all your help I know I ask alot of question,just want to make sure it works good."

"I think the switch would be f

"I think the switch would be fine,I read about isolator it sounds like it does the same job as a switch only you don't flip a switch it does all that for you.But what do yall think."

"I haven't got the switch

"I haven't got the switch didn't want to buy it and it not be what I needed,and the web sites I went to didn't say anything about it just that it had a "make before break" feature that if the switch was turned to the "off" position by mistake while te boat was runnign it would not tear up the alternator.

I think it said that the "both" position was there to allowed both batt. to be charge at the same time.and to start the boat with both batterys if they both were dead.

The isolater says it just isoiat from the house bank and the started battery and charges the both at the same time,thats why I think they are almost the same think.

But I will read more."

Back