Logo

Electric

wininger07

I checked and I am not getting

I checked and I am not getting spark. I will replace the coil tommorrow but is there another area that I should be looking at. Any suggestions will be taken serious. You were all right about changing to an electric fuel pump and that has worked great.

"well, it would be a lot easie

"well, it would be a lot easier to give an answer IF we knew WHAT you were working on."

Did not know about a kill swit

Did not know about a kill switch. Where is it located. I thought when you turned the key of that that was it. Are there any fuses that can be blown and where are they.

"[b]"well, it would be a l

""well, it would be a lot easier to give an answer IF we knew WHAT you were working on."

Ayuh,...

How do you expect Answers when you supply NO Information on What you're workin' on...."

1988 mercruiser sterndrive 3.0

1988 mercruiser sterndrive 3.0 4 cyl. I thought my wife had replied to that earler but she didn't put it on this site she just replied to an e-mail. I hope no one else makes a mistake it might give someone a heart-a-tack. LOL

"[b]"I will replace the co

""I will replace the coil tommorrow but is there another area that I should be looking at."

Ayuh,...

You Shouldn't be Replacing ANYTHING,...
Til you've done the Diagnosis to see what's Wrong.....

Does your distributer have Points,..??
Is there Power to the Points,..??
Click Here,+ follow the links to the Factory Service Manuals,...
Then download the 1s you need,...
It'll tell you Where to Look, to see What's Wrong...."

Do you have 12 vdc to the coil

Do you have 12 vdc to the coil? Try a different coil spark wire. What type ignition?

Check the ignition interrupt s

Check the ignition interrupt switch where the shift cable connects to the engine. If you have a sticking lower shift cable the switch could be hung in the interrupt position. The switch momentarily kills ignition when shifting out of gear. If switch is sticking it is the lower shift cable that needs replacing.

The kill switch if equipped wi

The kill switch if equipped will be on the throttle quadrant marked Run & Stop. Not likely on a 1988. They became standard about 1992 or so.

James is right; suspect your shift int switch first.

Rod

"I got a coil for it and check

"I got a coil for it and checked for the switch. I can't find one. I am getting power from the coil to the distributor. I checked the cap and everyting under it and it looks new. Is there a way to check the stator or does anyone have any suggestions. Thanks for the help, you guys have been great."

""I checked the cap and ev

""I checked the cap and everyting under it and it looks new. Is there a way to check "
Looks new or is new, points could be oxidized and not making good contact, glazed over preventing contact.The stator you refer to is only for the charging system, nothing to do with ingition."

"Had the same year & motor

"Had the same year & motor many years ago. Mine would run fine for an hour or more, and then just die. I would get towed in, get home, and it fired right up.

The last time this happened, I stayed around the ramp, and eventually it died, and I took it across the stree to a marina, and a tech came out, did the 'spark' test on the points, and put a new condenser in.

Not a problem again until the following year. After this, I always kept a couple of spares, and such an easy fix, even on the water.

As Guy suggested, go with the condensor first, for only a few bucks, you can't go wrong."

Back