Logo

GLM Manifolds risers Feedback needed

jtoma878

Contributing Member
"Wanted to know if any of you

"Wanted to know if any of you have real experience using these manifolds. I have searched various forums, and seen many responses. However, timeline is an issue, so I wanted some recent feedback.

Just so you know my application, it is a remanufactured 1994 year 5.7L Mercruiser in which I will be running an closed, full fresh water system that will be cooling the manifolds. Saltwater will be cooling risers.

Also, why might I want to run alum instead of cast?

Thanks in advance"

I put GLM manifolds and elbows

I put GLM manifolds and elbows on my 1994 5.7 V-8 2 years ago. I replaced the engine a month ago and reused the exhaust. I inspected them and cleaned them out a little. There was only a light surface rust in them. I boat exclusively in saltwater and always flush the engine within 30 minutes of pulling the boat out. You will get rid of a lot of weight with aluminum. Aluminum corrodes too unless they are lined with something. The water passages in my aluminum intake is bronze lined.

considering most are made out

considering most are made out of country i guess it dosent really matter who`s the best.the important thing is to run a flat file across the mounting surfaces to make sure there really flat and smooth.this also includes the exaust ports

Search on E-bay for used Mercr

Search on E-bay for used Mercruiser stainless steel elbows. I picked mine up for a little over $200 a few years back. Exhaust elbow is the weak link on a freshwater cooled engine in saltwater.

"James-

I didn't even t

"James-

I didn't even think of looking for stainless elbows. Come to think of it, I didn't even think they made them. So I took your advice and checked out ebay for a set and.... voila!! I found a pair of brand new ones for $215 shipped!!!

To me that's a steel (pun intended), espically since I was able to score a set of original, brand new Mercruiser manifolds & risers for $350 yesterday. I should be able to unload those cast risers for at least $50 each...

Only problem now is hoping the stainless risers fit the manifolds I have. In doing some research, when Merc was actually producing these stainless ones it seems there were 3 different types, and with the cast ones there is only one. Guess I can keep my fingers crossed.

If these all do fit, it seems to me like I am going to have the closest thing to a bulletproof setup with this exhaust system... Closed cooling system with stainless manifolds....all brand new for $450. Is there anything better while boating in salt water? (other than $1500 for a full stainless setup)"

Back