Logo

Bad to use used manifolds on a remanufactured motor

jtoma878

Contributing Member
"I was talking to a buddy of m

"I was talking to a buddy of mine and I was telling him that I only wanted to use new parts on this new motor. However, I need a set of manifolds/risers, and intake also. I originally said I don't want to use used parts, but he was telling me if I use ones that were only used in fresh water I would be ok.

I can save hundreds of dollars by going this route, as I have found some really good deals out there on fresh water used manifolds.

Am I being too stingy about only wanting to use new parts, or will freshwater ones that have been taken care of suffice? What problem areas to look for?

Thanks in advance...."

"Ayuh,... Are you boating in t

"Ayuh,... Are you boating in the Salt,..??

If so,... Buy New..."

"If the old manifolds were fre

"If the old manifolds were fresh water cooled (Closed Cooling System), they should be fine.

If raw water cooled in fresh water, take a good look at the cooling passages for signs of heavy corrosion, scaling, piting, etc. Maybe flush a little water through the water passages and see what come out. Let your conscience be your guide.

If raw water cooled in salt water, you won't be saving any money in the long run by using the old ones, unless they are fairly new (less than 2 years), and you know the history (engine flushed with fresh water after every use, winter lay up, etc.)."

"They are raw water cooled com

"They are raw water cooled coming from fresh water. Thanks for your input!

And yes, I'm boating in the salt, but I am using a closed fresh water system."

Stick w/the new for piece of m

Stick w/the new for piece of mind. Using old RWC parts in a new FWC can cause a release of the scale and rust into the cooling system.

"Yeah, sounds like a plan. I w

"Yeah, sounds like a plan. I wanted to get the feedback here before I pulled the trigger on the used ones. Difference of $300-$400, but it seems to be worth it at this point to do the right thing."

Joe:

Are you going to inclu

Joe:

Are you going to include the exhaust mans. in the FWC loop? It will make them last; will also need larger heat exchanger.

Guy-

Yes. Believe it or not

Guy-

Yes. Believe it or not I was able to pick up a brand new Monitor Products FWC kit that handles the manifolds too for only $300!

Picked it up last week :)

I couldn't believe it myse

I couldn't believe it myself!

What do you guys think about GLM manifolds & risers? Cast of course....

Don't you just love it whe

Don't you just love it when you feel you are ahead of the game! You'll want to replace all of the hoses in the closed system so there is no weak link to break. I think you can step up to a 170 deg. T'stat; someone correct me if it's not the case.

"I use 180F T-stat in mine.

"I use 180F T-stat in mine.
Along with the hotter T-stat, you'll want to get the temperature alarm sending unit with a higher setpoint."

A buddy of mine traded a carpe

A buddy of mine traded a carpet install job with a welder and had a pair of stainless manifolds made for his I/O. That was 8-9 years ago and no issues since. Salt water use as well. They are on a 351 Windsor Ford.

Rollie-

You just said that

Rollie-

You just said that magical word.... stainless

Man I wish I could afford a pair of those.. maybe next year.

I was actually able to score a pair of brand new original Mercruiser manifolds from a dealer here in NJ for $350... Including risers. They were take offs from a complete motor that was being put in an inboard setup.

I'm still going to pickup a pair of used freshwater ones as backups for $100.

Back