Logo

Help clarifying engine rotation LH or RH

rmm

Regular Contributor
Can someone explain to me from

Can someone explain to me from what perspective to view engine rotation? Which is LH and which is RH? Have twin Crusader 454s. thanks

"Here's the easiest way I&

"Here's the easiest way I've found to look at this (without loosing your mind): The port engine (when you have a counter-rotating pair) turns the same way as a 'normal' car engine. The starboard one is the oddball. Now, as luck would have it (and lefties out there are gonna be ticked) the RH rotation engine is "normal", as are right handed people (which outnumber lefties by a wide margin. See; I told you I'm was gonna tick some people off!)

Jeff"

"Rotation is identified by vie

"Rotation is identified by viewing the engine from the back end, looking forward. The flywheel on a standard rotation engine rotates counter-clockwise (like an automobile). The opposite goes for the clockwise engine. Like Jeff said, the port engine is normally standard roataion. Keep in mind, in todays powerplants the rotation is done through bi-directional transmissions and no longer by engine rotation, so don't be suprised if, when you check, both motors turn the same way.

By the way, I'm left handed and have never been called normal, so I'm not offended."

"..."By the way, I'm l

"..."By the way, I'm left handed and have never been called normal, so I'm not offended."

Thanks goodness!

Jeff"

"Hope this doesn't offend

"Hope this doesn't offend Jeff. A standard rotation engine is a left hand rotation engine. Engine rotation is determined from the business end - the rear. the end that the gears and shaft are connected to. and the end you put a left hand rotation prop on ( if you have a standard rotation engine and gears that dont change it) It is as Jeff correctly stated, the one on the port side."

"Correct. I look at the motor

"Correct. I look at the motor from an automotive stand point, from the front of the motor.

Jeff"

Back